Burdick Newsletters

Winter, 2008

Burdick Pardon, Part 2

Submitted by Howard Burdick (howard@burdickfamily.org)

(If you remember, in the last Newsletter I wrote about how one of our Burdick family members, George Burdick, was charged with a crime and was issued a pardon by President Woodrow Wilson on February 14, 1914. But there is more to the story. Much more, in fact. In 1974 another president, Gerald Ford, was contemplating how to deal with his predecessor, Richard Nixon. We all know what he decided. Ford granted Nixon a full pardon for any crimes he may have committed. What very few people know, and is now documented in the book "From 31 Days" by Barry Werth, is that President Ford based his decision in large part on the pardon granted to George Burdick and the subsequent Supreme Court decision 60 years earlier. Following is an excerpt from Mr. Werth's book explaining the connection. - HB)

Excerpted from "From 31 Days", by Barry Werth. Copyright 2006 by Barry Werth. Published by Nan A. Talese Books/Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc. Reprinted with permission.

At Ford's direction, attorney Benton Becker studied law books all through that Labor Day weekend, immersed unnoticed at the Supreme Court library. One 1915 ruling in particular impressed him.

The opinion in Burdick v. United States answered, in effect, a query Ford had posed: What does a presidential pardon mean? New York Tribune city editor George Burdick had declined to answer some questions before a federal grand jury about stories he had published—even though President Woodrow Wilson had issued him a blanket pardon for all offenses Burdick "has committed, or may have committed, or taken part in" regarding not only the published articles, but any others the grand jury might ask about. Burdick had refused the pardon because he believed accepting it would constitute an admission of a crime. The Supreme Court agreed, clarifying that a pardon "carries an imputation of guilt; acceptance a confession of it."

Becker believed that he had found in [the] Burdick [decision] a rationale for pardoning Richard Nixon that would keep Nixon from being prosecuted yet also carry an admission of guilt, and he began to warm to the idea as a solution to Ford's dilemma. A pardon, unlike amnesty, instructed only that an individual would not be punished. Becker doubted Nixon would do anything that looked as if he were confessing—Haig had said Nixon would never confess or relinquish his claim to his records—but he thought Ford, by offering Nixon a pardon, could place the burden squarely on Nixon to accept or reject it.

The Tuesday following Labor Day, Becker presented his findings to Ford and [Ford's former law partner Philip] Buchen in the Oval Office. Ford's power to pardon Nixon—at any time—of crimes he might have committed provided a whip hand that strengthened his resolve and his conviction that the country, despite a new Gallup poll that found 56 percent of Americans in favor of prosecuting Nixon, would support him.

"Look," Buchen said. "If you're going to do this to put Watergate behind you, I think you also ought to let me see how far we can go to get an agreement on the papers and tapes and have that in place at the same time." The attorney general had upheld Nixon's claim to his records; by linking a pardon to the fate of Nixon's materials, Buchen hoped to rescue Ford's leverage.

"Well," Ford said, "if you can get the papers and tapes question settled prior to the pardon, that's fine. Let's get it behind us. But I don't want to condition the pardon on his making an agreement on the papers and tapes, and I don't want you to insist on any particular terms."

With Ford resolved to move quickly ahead, Buchen had to conduct, in utmost secrecy, a three-way negotiation in which he would be discussing two momentous issues—clemency for a former president and the fate of Nixon's records, papers and tapes—with both the special prosecutor and Nixon's lawyer. [Watergate special prosecutor Leon] Jaworski gave no indication he would oppose a pardon. [Nixon lawyer Herbert "Jack"] Miller and Nixon agreed to yield a degree of control over Nixon's records to the federal government. It took days to hammer out a statement in which Nixon would accept blame, but by Saturday, September 7, Ford had what he needed. "Once I determine to move," he wrote, "I seldom, if ever, fret."

As he phoned Congressional leaders on Sunday to notify them that he would pardon Nixon later that very morning, one after another of Ford's former colleagues, conservatives and liberals alike, expressed dismay, anger and confusion. In the end their objections shrank mostly to this: it was too soon. Nerves were shot. Ford's urgency seemed imprudent, willful, more a personal statement of his need to make Nixon go away than a judicious act of state. Or else there had been a deal—which would have been another crushing blow.

At 11:01 a.m., Ford faced the TV cameras. "Ladies and gentlemen," he read, his jaw set squarely, "I have come to a decision which I felt I should tell you and all my fellow American citizens as soon as I was certain in my own mind and in my own conscience that it is the right thing to do."

After much reflection and prayer, Ford said, he had come to understand that Nixon's "was an American tragedy in which we have all played a part." He acknowledged that there were no precedents for his action, and said he'd been advised by the special prosecutor's office that bringing Nixon to justice might take a year or more. "Ugly passions would again be aroused," Ford said heavily, "our people again would be polarized in their opinions, and the credibility of our free institutions of government would again be challenged at home and abroad."

Nixon and his family had "suffered enough, and will continue to suffer no matter what I do," Ford said. With that, he read a single-sentence proclamation granting "a full, free and absolute pardon unto Richard Nixon for all offenses against the United States which he...has committed or may have committed or taken part in" during his five and a half years as president. And with a looping left hand, Ford signed the document.

With that pen stroke, Gerald Ford spent almost all that he had gained simply by not being Richard Nixon—the bi- partisan goodwill, the trust and affection of a divided nation that was willing to extend him the benefit of the doubt. Pardoning Nixon when he did, the way that he did, aborted the widespread hope—both shared and promoted by Ford, his team and most of the press—that his candor, decency and courage could clear up the wreckage of Watergate. "His action had quite the opposite effect from that which Ford intended," his biographer John Robert Greene wrote.

[Jerry] TerHorst, his press secretary, resigned in protest. Congress, freed of the necessity of further accommodation toward an unexpectedly popular leader, bolted. The Senate passed a resolution opposing any more Watergate pardons until the defendants had been tried, found guilty and exhausted all their appeals. The House passed two resolutions asking the White House to submit "full and complete information and facts" regarding how the decision was made. In addition to holding hostage Rockefeller's nomination as vice president, prolonging his confirmation until after the elections, Congress rebelled at the agreement for Nixon's tapes and records, perceiving it to be part of a bargain surrounding the pardon. Within months, it passed the Presidential Recordings and Materials Preservation Act of 1974, directing the National Archives to seize possession and control of Nixon's papers, records and tapes.

As Ford struggled to regain momentum throughout the fall, his clemency plan for Vietnam antiwar exiles fell flat. Less than one-fifth of those eligible signed up for the Vietnam Era Reconciliation Program, announced in mid-September.

On February 21, 1975, Mitchell, Haldemann and Ehrlichman were convicted on various charges of conspiracy, obstruction of justice and perjury and sentenced to two and a half to eight years in prison. A panel of circuit court judges denied their appeals, ruling that they had received a fair trial despite massive pretrial publicity.

After electoral defeats that fall, Republican conservatives began to criticize Ford openly. By late 1974, California governor Ronald Reagan stopped anguishing publicly about whether he should challenge a sitting president and began attacking Ford's policies in a weekly newspaper column. Ford's loss to Jimmy Carter in the 1976 presidential election set the stage for Reagan's victory four years later.

(Thanks, in a small but direct way, to one George Burdick! - HB)

Different Fathers

by Chris Burditt
submitted by Bill Burditt (billburditt@gmail.com)

(You may recall that Bill Burditt is the webmaster for the Burdett DNA Project. He sends along a great story about a Burditt family member who had an interesting experience when his DNA was tested. This is especially interesting to me, given what my own DNA test has uncovered! - HB)

Yountville Sun, August 2, 2007

(Editor’s Note: A familiar face in Yountville, CA since making this community his home in 1993, Chris Burditt, the semi-retired Napa Valley College Mathematics professor, cyclist, tennis and Scrabble player has counted genealogy among his many interests for years, but about around the turn of the millennium, as web resources became more plentiful, he found himself getting into a much deeper exploration of his roots. Burditt was clearly hooke, but what he hooked this summer was far more absorbing and revealing than he had anticipated. During the last two months he has worked non-stop piecing together the remarkable story which he has penned below.)

When my DNA results came back this spring I was surprised by the strong connection to Ireland. I knew about an Irish connection through my grandmother, Maggie McCristal. In fact, I obtained Irish citizenship because of her. But the result from FamilyTreeDNA was based on the Y-chromosome, which is inherited only through the male line. The Burditt line, as documented by the genealogy website OurNorthernRoots, didn’t show any Irish connection. Then the young webmaster for OurNorthernRoots informed me that his DNA didn’t match mine. So one of us wasn’t a Burditt. My brother Bob’s DNA resolved the confusion: his DNA matched the webmaster. Bob and I had different fathers!

While still legally married in 1944, my mother, Margaret, hadn’t lived with her husband for at least a year. When she was three months pregnant, Margaret moved from Michigan to New York with her eldest son Byron.

Bob’s father, William Burditt, must have know he wasn’t my father, but he never admitted it, even when we met 30 years later. He died in 1983.

So my mother left us this puzzle to solve 13 years after her death. Fortunately, I got a very lucky break: The name of McGee was among the participants whose DNA matched mine. This awakened a memory in Bob of a 1944 fishing trip, when he was 13 years of age. A man named McGee took him fishing to Prudenville, Mich., where he met the man’s children and e-wife. Bob recalled the man’s build, hairstyle and work status. Oh, and he was also dating our mother!

I used Internet resources, including Ancestry and U.S. Census records. Brother Bob and my nephew Byron were very helpful with research in old city directories for Saginaw and Midland, Mich.

I even found a book on-line which listed all employees of a Saginaw machine gun factory, where my mother worked from 1942 to 1944. After a month, these efforts yielded a draftsman who loved to golf, but never finished, according to his 85-year-old son.

But all that effort wasn’t wasted. It formed the basis for the next search. This time I focused on a similar name among my DNA match participants: McKee.

In the Social Security Death Index I found Irene McKee, who died in Prudenville, Mich. Telephone records indicated McKees still lived in the area.

I used the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census to find her husband’s name. It was Harold M. McKee. His 1917 WWI draft card showed his profession was pipefitter.

The 1917 Detroit city directory shows his profession as plumber. The McKees had six children, the last one being born in 1936.

In the 1943 Midland City directory, Bob found Harold living in a boarding house. He was living alone. The boarding house was one block away from my mother’s apartment!

And, as if that weren’t close enough, Bob recalled his family of five lived in that same boarding house for two weeks in 1942! This must have been where Margaret and Harold met – passing the butter.

But still, like most genealogical work, the connection was based on circumstantial evidence. There were no letters, no eyewitnesses, and my parents didn’t marry.

In fact, Harold probably never knew he had a seventh child.

At this point I decided the most delicate way to contact the living McKees in Prudenville would be through their county genealogical society. By chance, Harold’s son-in-law was one of the officers and an avid genealogist.

I traveled to Michigan in June and met Harold’s surviving sons Ted and Harold, Jr. The McKees shared their heirloom family photos, and Harold, Jr. agreed to submit his DNA sample to FamilyTreeDNA as I had done. After five weeks, Harold’s DNA results came back: We’re brothers!

So now I have a biological father, born February 9, 1896. By a fitting coincidence, that’s also my birthday, only 49 years earlier.

(Postscript: Tuesday afternoon Burditt had lunch in Middletown, CA with a niece he had never met from the McKee side of his family. The family owns a restaurant in that community, and Burditt helped his niece’s son with a Geometry problem. And since discovering his new biological roots and learning of a family history of abdominal aortic aneurysms Burditt underwent an ultrasound test and learned he does not have the condition that claimed the lived of four of his siblings on the McKee side.)

Sergeant First Class Derrick G. Burdick

(SFC Derrick Burdick was awarded a Purple Heart and the U.S. Army Bronze Star for courage, leadership, and exceptional tactical abilities. You'll see why when you read the following narrative that accompanied the medal presentation. I cannot express how proud I am of Derrick, and all of our fighting men and women who do so much for our country. While it is my policy to not disclose contact information about active duty military personnel, if you wish to send a note of thanks to Derrick (and I hope you will), please email it to me (howard@burdickfamily.org) and I'll forward it onto him. Derrick is currently back in the U.S. recovering from wounds suffered in the fight described below. - HB)

Sergeant First Class Derrick Burdick, United States Army, heroically distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous acts of bravery in the face of the enemy of the United States while serving as Assistant Convoy Commander for the U.S. Army Logistics Support Team for Forward Operating Base Tombstone, Helmand Province, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Silver from 8 April to 14 April 2007.

On 10 April 2007, SFC Burdick distinguished himself during a combined coalition, nineteen truck mounted combat patrol returning from Forward Operating Base Robinson in the northern Sangin Valley. At approximately 0740L, the lead convoy vehicle struck a concealed anti-tank mine on Route 611, resulting in catastrophic destruction of the front end of the Up-Armored HMMWV (UAH).

After reports came over the radio that the driver sustained a compound fracture to his right leg with heavy bleeding, was pinned in the truck, and that medical evacuation was necessary, SFC Burdick immediately began moving his UAH towards the front of the convoy to assist in site security, establishment of the MEDEVAC LZ, and casualty extraction. SFC Burdick directed all truck gunners to maintain sector security in the event the convoy came under direct fire attack from ACM forces from the surrounding ridgelines. With complete disregard for his own safety, SFC Burdick dismounted his truck to move closer to the scene, and to begin marking a clear lane to transport the casualty to the LZ site.

As his truck moved forward on the road, it struck a mine throwing rocks, debris, and shrapnel into the surrounding area and wounding SFC Burdick. He immediately checked the status of his truck occupants then returned to the lead damaged truck to assist moving the wounded U.S. Soldier to a nearby stretcher in preparation for the MEDEVAC.

While under exposure and threat from direct fire attack from positively identified ACM forces in a village to the west of the convoy, SFC Burdick helped move the injured Soldier to a covered position out of the kill zone while other LST Soldiers and members of the Afghan National Army assisted in providing security and clearing an area west of the road for the MEDEVAC LZ. Once the wounded U.S. Soldier was safely evacuated from the site, SFC Burdick assisted in orchestrating the convoy reconsolidation and reorganization process in preparation for the convoy’s return movement back to FOB Robinson.

At approximately 1145L during movement back to FOB Robinson an ANA 7-Ton truck near the front of the convoy struck a mine, sustaining a catastrophic kill; the convoy came under immediate, direct enemy small arms fire and SFC Burdick dismounted his truck to direct and lay suppressive M4 and M203 fire onto the western ridgeline. ANA Soldiers dismounted their vehicles, chased suspected insurgents into a nearby poppy field to the east, and later emerged with 8 detainees. Still exposed to potential ACM force direct fire, SFC Burdick assisted in processing the detainees for extraction back to FOB Robinson. The convoy ultimately returned to FOB Robinson without further incident.

In no small part to his personal courage, leadership, and exceptional tactical abilities, no other casualties occurred during the safe MEDEVAC extraction, troops in contact incident, and safe convoy. His actions are in keeping with the finest traditions of military bravery and reflect distinct credit upon himself, the Combined Security Transition Command - Afghanistan, U.S. Army Central Command, and the United States Army.

Burdick News... Up-To-The-Minute!

I (howard@burdickfamily.org) have some news of my own to pass along in this issue. You may recall that my DNA, similar to Chris Burditt's situation described above, does not match that of other Burdicks so far tested. I've looked at this as a mystery to solve and now have the first solid results. My uncle (my Dad's brother), William Henry Burdick, submitted his DNA sample and the results show that -- he and I match! That means that our "deviation" from the Burdick standard did not occur with my mother or grandmother (Uncle Bill's mother.) This is not a lot of news, but it's a start. We're trying to get another male relative tested now that will push the DNA path back a couple more generations. I'll let you know when I know more!

In the Summer 2007 Newsletter, Neal Shaw (nshaw@cogeco.ca) was looking for information about James Burdick who left Rhode Island for New Brunswick, Canada during the American Revolution. James may have been born in Lanesborough, NY, where Tom Krakow (tomkrakow@juno.com) was also looking for James Burdick, as told in the Fall 2007 Newsletter. Neil supplies some information about James Burdick in Coeyman's New York, namely the birth of two children: Mercy Burdick (b. May 8, 1779, Coemans Patent, Albany, NY) and Isaac Burdick (b. November 29, 1782, Albany, NY, d. February 3, 1850.) New York was a loyalist stronghold throughout the revolution. James Burdick was taken prisoner at the Battle of Bennington in 1777 by the American forces. He eventually escaped the Gaol (jail) and made off. It is assumed that he initially headed to New Brunswick where we find his brother Freedom (aka. Freeman) Burdick. He and his family would indeed have been safe and welcome in the Albany (Coeyman) area of New York at the time. James was again in Vermont (South Hero in the mid 1790's where he made a few patent's for various services such as a ferry). By 1796 James applied for and received land in the Zorra, Oxford county area of Upper Canada as a loyalist. Neal has done extensive research on James Burdick which will appear in a future Newsletter.

Rebecca Burdick (RBurdick@sovereignbank.com) sends the following obituary -- sounds like quite a lady. Kathleen "Kate" (Osborn) Burdick, formerly of Vernon, was born in Cleveland, OH to Bob and Lois Osborn on May 20, 1940. She was the oldest of four siblings. The family moved to Elmhurst, IL in 1950 where Kate graduated from York Community High School in 1958. Kate earned her B.A. degree in Latin in June of 1962 from Carleton College in Northfield, MN. That same month she married Boyce Burdick, and they moved to Connecticut where Boyce completed his PhD in physics at Yale University. In the next few years two sons were born to them, and they adopted their daughter. Kate was an enthusiastic mother. She enjoyed her family immensely and committed herself to their welfare. In 1978, the family moved to Richland, WA where Kate began working with Benton Franklin Head Start as a lead teacher. She held this position for several years until recurrent treatments for Hodgkin's Disease forced her into retirement. Kate has been an advocate working with and for people with mental illnesses for many years. She was a charter member of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill in the Tri-Cities NAMI TC. Kate worked with that then small group to raise money and secure the community support necessary to establish the first group home in the Tri-Cities for people with serious mental illnesses. The Jadwin House remains in operation and additional residential opportunities have opened up for this population. Kate has represented Benton and Franklin Counties on two Mental Health Advisory Boards since their inception: the bi-county Benton Franklin Mental Health Advisory Board and the Greater Columbia Behavioral Health Regional Support Network Advisory Board. Kate has been a member of Shalom United Church of Christ in Richland since 1978. Her most recent work there was teaching in the Learning Community and serving on the Open and Affirming Task Force in support of lesbian, gay and transsexual Christians looking for a church where they would be welcomed. Kate volunteered for some time as a CASA/Guardian ad Litem in the Juvenile Court, advocating for children at risk of abuse and neglect. Kate enjoyed camping with her family and grandchildren, reading, and in recent years learning something about basketball and baseball while happily and proudly watching her grandson play. All of her grandchildren are talented individuals, and have been a source of great pleasure to her. In the family home, Kate leaves her husband of 45 years and their grandson, Ashton. She also leaves behind her son, Michael of Renton, his wife Sherri; and grandchildren, Nicole and Trevor. She leaves her son, Matthew of Marysville and granddaughter, Kristina. She leaves also her daughter, Stacy Milam of Richland, and granddaughter Shakia. Kate leaves her foster son, Martin Poston, and his family. Predeceased by their parents, Kate leaves her sister, Linette, and brothers, Cliff and Larry and their families. Kate passed away on Sunday, July 15. She wishes to thank all those who stood by her and supported her during her last illness: family, dear friends and medical professionals.

Dale Bryan (conairedb@netscape.net) turned up this bit of intriguing information. William Burdick was master of the ship "Thomas & William" that arrived in America from Gravesend, England in 1630. Could there be a connection between this william and our Robert Burdick of Rhode Island? I'd be very interested to know if any researchers have ever traced this possibility.

Murph (yhprum@verizon.net) passes along the following obituary of Kenneth Arthur Burdick, 72, who passed on October 10, 2007 at Hospice Care Center in Port Orange, FL. Born in Lowville, New York, Mr. Burdick moved to Florida in 1990 from Syracuse, where he graduated from Central City Business Institute. He served in the U.S. Air Force 174th Tag Fire Wing. He retired as vice president of Marine Midland Bank (HSBC). He is survived by his wife of 49 years, Jane; son, Mark T. Burdick of Edgewater, FL; daughter, Deborah J. Sechler of Jacksonville, FL; grandchildren, Jessica J. and Kenneth E. Sechler of Jacksonville, FL, Tracy R. and Kathleen M. Burdick of Marcellus, NY; sister, Betty B. Bolduc of New Smyrna Beach, NY; nieces, Bethany J. Sibler of New Smyrna Beach, FL, and Stacey E. Burdick of Rochester, NY; nephews, Phillip P. Bolduc of Edgewater, FL, and Michael R. Burdick of Linden, NJ. Published in the Syracuse Post Standard on 10/12/2007.

Murph also sends word of Ruth Vanderbilt Burdick, 90, of Baldwinsville, NY who went to be with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on October 27, 2007. Ruth was born February 19, 1917, in Syracuse to Orielle Bell Caywood Vanderbilt and Harvey Hollister Vanderbilt. She lived in the Central New York area all her life, graduating from Cortland Normal School in 1937. Following her graduation, she taught in a one-room rural schoolhouse in Little Utica, New York, for four years. She devoted her life to her family; her church, serving as deaconess, Pioneer Girl Guide and in many other Christian education ministries; as well as community activities. She was known for her beautiful smile and generous and gracious spirit. She was honored by placement on the North Syracuse Central School District's Wall of Distinction in 1990. She was predeceased by her brother, Harvey Andrew Vanderbilt; grandson, Jeremiah Joseph Burdick; and husband, Glenn Howard Burdick. She is survived by four sons, Allen H. Burdick (Ruth), G. David Burdick (Lynda), Roger L. Burdick (Shirley) and Jonathan R. Burdick (Marianne); one daughter, Diane B. Gibbens (Larry); 16 grandchildren; 34 great-grandchildren; her sister-in-law, Verna B. Coles; and nieces and nephews. She will be dearly missed by all her family and by others who knew her. Published in the Syracuse Post Standard on 10/28/2007.

Dr. Lawrence Stanley (meromest@bigpond.net.au) helps illustrate that the Burdick family is truly worldwide. Dr. Stanley served in the Australian Army in Singapore in 1971-72 and just returned from a 3 week family vacation in Vietnam. In the coastal town of Nha Trang, he purchased a genuine-looking U.S. military dog tag with the name "C.L. Burdick" on it. Dr. Stanley would like to find the family and return the tag as an extension of his interest in the Vietnam conflict, in which Australia was an ally with the U.S. As a former Army Officer, he imagines that the tag would be of great importance after 40 years. The detail on the tag is as follows: "BURDICK, C.L., USMC, CATHOLIC." Dr. Stanley has searched the U.S. Marine web site, and the Arlington Cemetery site with no luck and hopes that you know of C.L. Burdick.

Peter Burdick (Sbunit915@msn.com) Wishes to pass along word that his father, Thomas Cooper Burdick, age 81, of Monroe Township, NJ died on September 19, 2007. He was an Army veteran of World War II, having enlisted at the age of 17. He served in the 4th Infantry Division as an anti-tank gunner. He saw combat in Germany between January and May of 1945. He was a lifetime member of VFW Post 130 in Westwood, NJ. He left behind his wife Jane Burdick, two sons Thomas Jr. and Peter, a daughter Laura (Burdick) Parlante, and 5 grandchildren.

Charlie Hill (arrowbee@yahoo.com) has owned an oil painting for 40 years of an Indian encampment on the Platte River signed FRANK BURDICK 1910. Charlie has checked several listings of artists of the early 19th century but has never been able to find his name. The painting is very well done. If you have ever heard of a Frank Burdick that was a painter, amateur or professional, Charlie would appreciate hearing from you.

Dale Bryan (conairedb@netscape.net) passes along some interesting information that may be useful. William Burdick was master of the ship "Thomas & William" that arrived in America from Gravesend, England in 1630. Could this family be a connection to Robert Burdick of Rhode Island? Perhaps some of you superb Burdick researchers out there can find the link.

On a related note (no pun intended!), Graham Burdick (g@burdick.co.uk) provides information that supports the existence of Burdicks in England before Robert immigrated to Rhode Island. The earliest Burdick he has discovered is Nicholas, who married Elizabeth Coarse on May 23, 1574 at St. Peter's Church, Cornhill in London. They christened a son, Julian, in 1575 and another, Roger, on March 31, 1577 at St. Botolph, Bishopgate, London. From Graham's research, there appear to be only three small groups of Burdicks in England. Those in Yorkshire are Graham's close relatives, those in Devon are his distant relations, and the Burdicks in London are as of yet unrelated. The London Burdicks predate the others but neither Graham nor Peter Burdick of Exeter, another researcher, have been able to establish who went where and when. You can see Graham's line, dating from 1715, on the Burdick Whitepages and the next Newsletter will contain an article by him. Graham has also joined the Burdett DNA Project, and we are eagerly awaiting his results!

One last word of mention about Graham. He is the author of the excellent book, "Knitting Fog", about which I commented on in the last Newsletter. This is a wonderful easy-to-read book on expanding your personal creativity that I highly recommend. It is available from Amazon.com.

Tim Hall (TimHall1 at gmail dot com) is eager to find any relatives of his wife's great-great-great grandfather, Edward Burdick, who lived in the area around Port Jervis, NY, and the Griffin family from whom his wife is also descended. Edward Burdick (listed as Edwin on one or two census records) b. 1811-1814 PA or NY, d. 30 Jan 1899 Godeffroy, Orange, NY, buried Laurel Grove Cemetery, Port Jervis, Orange, NY and married Emeline Casselman (occasionally listed as Conzelman), b. 17 Mar 1833 PA or NJ, d. 1 Apr 1885, buried Laurel Grove Cemetery, Port Jervis, Orange, NY. Tim has more information about this branch of the family on the Burdick Whitepages.

Dr. Mark L. Staker (StakerML@ldschurch.org) is a historian and the Senior Curator of the LDS Church's Museum of Church History and Art. He is working on understanding and recreating early events in Susquehanna County, PA and for some time has been investigating on the murder trial of Jason Treadwell (August 30, 1824) to understand what originally happened, the testimony given at the trial, and why the jury and judge chose to convict Jason Treadwell for the murder of Oliver Harper. Elias Burdick was one of the jurors at the trial held in the county courthouse in Montrose. Dr. Staker is very interested in Elias' experiences, thoughts and other details during the trial. Does anyone know if Elias left a journal, letters or other records that may provide insight into his thoughts, how long the trial lasted, where he stayed while in Montrose, etc.? Did Elias Burdick ever become a Latter-day Saint and if not did his children join? Any details would be greatly appreciated and would help tie yet another Burdick to American history.

Charles Flatt (charles@softwaremeadows.com) is helping to keep the memory of Judge Eugene A. Burdick alive. Even though Judge Burdick passed away several years ago, his legacy lives on through his written words. See http://flattland.com/index.php?entry=entry071109-194023 for an example.

As you know, I am always looking for ways for us to recognize our service men and women. A friend of mine told me know about a service provided by Xerox called "Let's Say Thanks." It allows people like you and me a way to send a postcard to a deployed military member. I checked it out and it is legitimate. You can participate, for free, by visiting http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html . You can also see a short video about the program on Xerox's web site at http://www.xerox.com/downloads/usa/en/movietheatre/quicktime/commercials/Thanks.htm. Please take a couple minutes to say thanks to our brave fighting men and women.

Glenn Wallace (crom-a-boo@earthlink.net) is tracing the family of David Lauriston Sharp and his wife Ruth Burdick. Lauriston was born in 1907 in Madison, WI and died in 1993 in Ithaca, NY. Perhaps Ruth was in NY as well. Glenn doesn't know if they had children. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff Schemm (jschemm9@charter.net) is hoping that someone can help him solve a mystery. Jeff's father was born out of wedlock in 1917 in Detroit, MI. His father was Raymond Burdick from Gilford, MI and his mother was Hattie Haske of Reese, MI. As the story is told, Ray did not want to marry Hattie but then changed his mind. But by then Hattie would not marry him. Hattie went to Detroit to give birth and then to Charlevoix, MI to work off her hospital costs. She gave her baby to her married sister, Freida Schemm, to raise as her own. Years later Ray moved to Detroit and although Jeff's dad knew Ray he did not know that Ray was his father. One day a man named Lee Cramer told him the truth. Jeff's dad never confronted Ray as he accepted his life with Freida and Ferdinand Schemm. Raymond Burdick was probably born in the 1890s and was a barber in his early life. Jeff is sure that Ray's family never knew he had an illegitimate son. Do you know any more about this family?

Ann Massengill (abm657@comcast.net) is trying to find the burial place for Jane Shelley who, as a widow of Benjamin Shelley, married Benjamin Burdick (son of Robert and Ruth, ID #7) and lived in Westerly, RI. Is Jane buried with Benjamin and does anyone know where?

Mark Burdick (markb42@mac.com) wanted to pass along news of his father's passing. Kenneth Gaylord Burdick, passed away on February 23, 2006, four days shy of his 74th birthday. He had been battling lung cancer and was doing well until Hurricane Katrina hit the New Orleans area and disrupted his treatment. Although Mark's Parent's home was not significantly damaged, they were under a mandatory evacuation order for at least a month, staying with Mark in Orlando, FL. After they returned it was discovered the cancer had become more aggressive, but Kenneth was too weak to fight it and passed away a few months later in his sleep. He is survived by a brother, Richard Burdick, and two sisters Movice (Burdick) Cantrell, and Ruth (Burdick) ? (Mark is not sure of her current married name, but she lives in Little Rock, AR.) Kenneth Gaylord Burdick was born February 27, 1932 in Frankfort, NY and lived for several years in Utica, NY. When he was a teenager his family migrated south, initially to St Louis, MO and eventually to New Orleans, LA. His parents were Eustace Burdick (May 8, 1910 - November 1985) and Elizabeth Kinne Burdick (December 12, 1908 - April 28, 1992). His paternal grandfather was Dorrance Burdick (August 28, 1885 - December 1970), who also migrated from New York to New Orleans. Mark has been unable to piece together any more lineage, any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Copyright Howard E. Burdick 2019. All Rights Reserved.