Burdick Newsletters

Fall, 2011

Adelia Rosamond Burdick Attenborough, Part 1

submitted by Jane Skwirut (hskwiru1@tampabay.rr.com)

(I am a great believer in autobiographies -- everyone should write theirs. Jane's mother, Adelia, agreed. Below is the first half of hers, I think you will agree that, after reading this, we know her as a person instead of just a few dates and places in a genealogy database. -- HB)

Nov. 16, 1975

A year ago the song went out of me – Joe died Nov. 18, 1974.

May 8, 1904, I was born in Clifford, Pa. to Ralph and Ruth (Burritt) Burdick. I understand that we moved to Scranton when I was a baby. We were living on Alder St. when my father died of tuberculosis. I was 5 or 6 years old. Gradma Burritt came to live with us, I’m not sure just when. I can remember my father setting around bundled up and the window open. My mother had to work. It was in the button factory. I remember I had a box shaped like a large red firecracker my father was supposed to have sent me from the Mt. Alto sanatorium where he spent some time. I had his love letter to my mother until 1935. My mother was trying to get a little whiskey down m y father when she cried out “he could no longer swallow.”

When my mother was an infant she pulled a teapot of hot tea overt herself. They said it tool seven cat skins to heal the burn. She was left with scars.

Over the years my mother and I spent, probably, a week each summer with Uncle Nelson (Nell) and May Burdick. They lived in the country. I always thought it was Uniondale because that’s where we got off the train. We walked about three miles to their home in Clifford. A short was along the station lived Nell’s daughter, Metta and her family. Then other times we visited my father’s other brother, Verne, and family in Jermyn. He was a photographer. He wife was Alice Carpenter. Uncle Nelson also had a daughter, Anna. We would stop and visit.

Aunt Mary and Uncle Nell lived in the country. Sometimes they had a mule, sometimes a cow and chickens. They had cats and a long haired black dog named, Rover. There was a swing in the tree and a gift of beads or something for me. The creek was dammed up for wading. The house where I was born was in view of their house. I remember the smooth wide boards in the floor and the wooden sink. There were many wild strawberries to be had, and we picked them, Ina and I. Aunt Mary and Uncle Nell got their delicious drinking water from a spring a short walk out in the woods. There was a pump in the house. I was taught how to strip birch and eat it and eat wintergreen leaves and berries. We went through the fields while Ina got greens and also watercress from the creek.

The last address while my mother lived was 1217 Cedar Ave., Southside. Grandma, Mom and I had 3 or 4 rooms on the first floor and shared the living room with Aunt Susie and Uncle Homer and 7 of their 8 children. They had the two top floors. While living there I remember having my 12th birthday. It was help outside. There was cake, ice cream, then games were played. I got a number of hair ribbons as gifts. Uncle Homer was doing well at this time as a coal dealer of some kind. He bought a Graham Paige touring car. He never drove. A friend did the driving and they took a trip to Upper New York State. Myrtle was learning to drive and Matilda (I think) and I were in the car and it started to back up and we stopped just in time to avoid dropping off a high wall at the creek.

Our house was along side the brook on Brook St. The area was flooded out one time while there but it was worse just below us. While living here my mother had only one block to go to work.

Every summer they had an excursion to Lake Lodore, going by the Delaware & Hudson railroad. We attended the Elm Park M.E. Church downtown and we went on their outings to Moosic Lake by open street car.

On Saturday, Mom and I often walked to town and saw a movie, sometimes a serial, and lunch sometimes and bought a bag of chocolate creams or other, shopper for groceries like eggs, etc.

I joined a new girl scout troop – Daisy. The emblem was put on my khaki blouse. Mom bought me the whole outfit which included skirt, leggings, bloomers and hat.

When I turned 14 years old, Mom got me a job that summer as a helper where she worked. The days I liked best was when I was sent for a day to the other part of the factory. I was trying out records (flat ones) and I remember the Hawaiian that fascinated me. I would have to go for labels and matrixes for the machine operators.

That September I started Technical High School, which was way across town. It was crowded so I went in the afternoon. Mom had wanted to join the Ambulance Corps as we were now at war and out forces went to France as the American Expeditionary Forces under General Pershing. We were dependent on her so she took an auto mechanic course and quit the factory and forked for a furniture store. They didn’t seem to let her drive. I guess she more of an advertisement. We would meet along the way at noon. She was on her way home and me on my way to school.

Mom and I got Spanish Influenza about the same time. None of the Nicholsons did. Mom got pneumonia and went to State Hospital where she died Oct. 8, 1918. The war ended a month later on Nov. 11. I couldn’t be with other people so I viewed her before people attended the funeral. She was buried a few miles in the Burdick Cemetery in Clifford. The furniture company gave Grandma an extra weeks pay.

My father was able to draw well with charcoal and he did some cartoons in ink. There were two large drawings in a wooden case. A couple of my cousins ruined them and the Edison phonograph (cylinder) of my mothers.

One winter weekend we spent at Aunt Susie’s, there was a bad snowstorm. Billy Sunday, the Evangelist, had a wooden tabernacle a couple of blocks away. People from there stopped at Aunt Susie’s to rest. People were stranded. It was always referred to as the Billy Sunday blizzard.

At the end of the was there was an article in the paper about the troop ship, Great Northern, going aground on Fire Island, N.Y. My cousin, Leon Burdick, was among those who climbed over the side, so I wrote him and he wrote me a letter on YMCA stationary telling me of his experiences.

It must have been soon after Armistice Day that I was invited to live with distant or half-cousins, the Brownells, in West Scranton. Ernie Brownell was descended from Grampa Burritt’s first wife, Caroline Burdick. I guess I was there 6 months. Ernie gave me 50-cents a week for carfare and I sometimes walked the great distance in order to spend some for something else. The sons, homer and Tom, thought it was swell to have me live there. One time they rolled up the rug and turned on the phonograph and we danced. One of the records was Hindustan. He and I spent time at his friend’s home on the next street. There was a piano and the father liked to dance. He felt dancing would keep you younger.

Well, I wanted to go back and live at Aunt Susie’s. Six months later I was allowed to. I had started back to school after going to live at Brownells after working in the factory again. While working I had to attend continuation school half a day downtown. I soon realized they could not afford for me not to work. I found work for one sale day at Grants and later I worked at a stationer and printery as a helper.

Meanwhile, Matilda got a job at the I.C.S. and so I decided to try to get in there, too. I was 15 years old but said I was 16. A started at $8 a week – worked up to $11. On learning I was an orphan, while at Brownells, my boss Miss McHugh got me to take a stenography course right there, free. I studied there for a while.

I was transferred to a new building next door called Technical Supply Co., as filing clerk. I became close friends with one girl names Margaret Reed. I had meals at her home and went with her to her evening job as pianist in a movie theater. I liked the piano in her home as it was so easy to the touch. Her brother Jack was violinist in a small group.

While I was at Brownells, Uncle Homer bought a house in the Green Ridge section of Scranton. Grandma had gone to stay awhile with relatives at Ararat or somewhere. She came back to Aunt Susie’s and was confined to bed or chair for 4 or 5 years until she died in Nov. of 1924.

Anyway, the Elm Park Church Deaconess visited Grandma and me and arranged for me to work at the YMCA summer camp at Lake Ariel. We workers went by Erie train to the lake to get the camp ready for paying guests. The head lady, Mrs. Riegel, was lovely and made me a plaid dress and let me go home a few days when I got so homesick. I was treated to leftover cocoa and puddings, so my weight went from 130 to 142. I was able to join in the fun the same as paying guests when I was free. I went bathing, boating, campfire parties, etc.

Back to the I.C.S. I was entitled to 4 days vacation so Matilda took hers at the same time, June, 1920. Uncle Homer had business in N.Y. so the three of us went to N.Y. and stayed at the Prince George Hotel. We went by train to Hoboken, then by ferry to N.Y.C.

Myrtle was in Jersey City training for a nurse. We went there and got her and we all went back to N.Y. The three of us slept in one bed without paying anymore. Uncle Homer took us to Coney Island and I remember an upstairs restaurant where we had a meal. Matilda and I did a lot of staring at a young lady who was smoking a cigarette. Uncle Homer cautioned us about it. We went to a picture theater and were way up in the balcony. We also went to the Aquarium at the Battery.

While living on Richmond St., Green Ridge, we attended Asbury Methodist Church. Myrtle was back home now and she worked at the Spruce Sweet Shop downtown, so did a fellow, Albert Attenborough. This is 1920. She was going with Warren Simonson from Dunmore.

On Sunday, July 30, Myrtle asked Til and me to stay home from evening church because she had a date with Warren, and Joe had been in the shop and told Myrtle he would be up to see her Sunday night. Til wouldn’t stay, but I did. I did have misgivings about it though, as I thought she meant Al and he seemed old to me. Joe had been discharged from 4 years in the Navy 2 months before.

That evening Myrtle and Warren, and Joe and I, went by streetcar to Warren’s sister in the nearby town of Taylor. I remember my white Keds heels clopping on the sidewalk. His home on Delaware was on our way to Asbury Church. As it turned out I had been in his sister May’s class in high School for a while.

Joe and I started going out, seeing each other often, sometimes going to amusement parks or movies, or a party. One party, I think was a benefit for a blind man, someone Warren knew or was related to. It was a box party. Myrtle and I decorated our boxes and I still have the tine cupid that was part of the trim on mine. I believe Myrtle fried the chicken we put in the lunches. At the party there were fiddle players and square dancing.

It wasn’t long before we fell in love and were miserable when apart. Joe asked me a couple of times to marry him, but I wasn’t ready. One time he said he wouldn’t see me anymore if I didn’t marry him.

(To be continued...)

Burdick Tidbits

by Howard Burdick (howard@burdickfamily.org)

(Keeping with the theme of autobiographies, I wanted to let you know about other information I am finding as I continue implementing Nellie Johnson's book on the Burdick Family Association web site. -- HB)

I'm about two-thirds of the way through entering all the notes from Nellie Johnson's book, "The Descendants of Robert Burdick of Rhode Island". While it has been interesting entering all the names, dates and places of our ancestors, it has been by far more enjoyable entering the notes. Those little tidbits of information, when they exist, about those who came before us provides just a small glimpse into their lives.

I wanted to provide a little sampling of items I've some across. Moreover, for those of you who will be providing me, or have provided me, with extensions to your own family line I would encourage you to include a few notes, too. What seems mundane to us today may be of great importance to a future historian.

While there are literally thousands of notes in our genealogy, I selected a few that are both seemly common (but are not) and unique:

Perry Gardner Burdick (I2232). Perry and his wife, Addie, had a daughter and son. By all accounts he was a good family man who, unfortunately, died at the age of only 47. He was born in 1861 in Farmersville, NY and as a boy moved with his family to Howell, MI. But what caught my eye was Perry's job... He was the official milk tester for Borden's Condensed Milk Co. So the next time you are in the grocery store and see that familiar red-and-white can remember that a family member had a part in making it taste good!

Dr. Arthur Franklin Burdick (I2177). Before Arthur became a doctor in 1859 (he graduated from the University of Vermont and the College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York City), and before he was the Assistant Surgeon of the 5th Regiment, Vermont Volunteers during the Civil War (1862-1863), he had a different life. In 1849 he went to California as part of the Gold Rush, meeting with many adventures, and returning to Vermont in 1852 with what was considered a moderate fortune. There is no record of these "adventures", but I have a feeling some of them may not be appropriate for children!

Speaking of the Civil War, the Burdick family was well-represented in that conflict. I have not yet calculated a total, but I suspect that several hundred of our ancestors fought, were injured, and died during those turbulent years. I wanted to tell you about two of them...

Chester A. Burdick (I11115). He enlisted at Delevan, Wisconsin as part of the 10th Wisconsin Volunteers. He was appointed sergeant-Major October 5, 1861 and was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant of Company A on Aug. 12, 1862. He was made 1st Lieutenant of Company C on Mar. 4, 1863. But then his luck changed. He was taken prisoner at Chickamauga, Georgia and was imprisoned at Charleston, South Carolina. Chester never made it home, he died of disease in prison.

Silas Greene Burdick (I2132). Silas' Civil War experience was different than Chester's. He enlisted at Little Genesee, NY on Aug. 21, 1861 and was placed in Company C, 85th Regiment, New York Volunteers. At some point he was captured and imprisoned in the infamous Andersonville, Georgia prison. But they could not hold him -- he tunneled out and made a run for it. But he was tracked down by bloodhounds, recaptured and sent back to Andersonville. He survived his stay there which lasted from April 20, 1864 to March 1, 1865. On that day he was involved in a prison exchange and discharged from service on June 9, 1865. There were a total of eight Burdick family members imprisoned at Andersonville.

Aaron Wallace Burdick (I1305). Aaron did not live a glorious or dangerous or adventurous life. Instead, he did what most of us do -- he married, had children and a long industrious career. He worked for 46 years for the Earl & Wilson Company in Troy, NY, a manufacturer of collars, cuffs and shirts. 46 years! So when you put your shirt or blouse on tomorrow, give a nod to Aaron.

Adelbert Thurston Burdick (I1314). And when you put your underwear on, think of Adelbert, Aaron's cousin. Adelbert teamed up with his sister's husband, Jeramiah A. Scriven, to make those necessary undergarments as well as shirts. He was the director of the company at the time of his death.

James Reed Burdick (I257). "Captain Jimmie", as he was known, had an adventuresome life. After serving as a Captain in the Rhode Island Militia after the Revolutionary War, he moved his family to the wilderness area of Plainfield and Truxton, NY "on a sled following a blazed trail through the woods." He cleared land for a farm, found a natural spring and built his home there. He burned the trees he cleared and sold the ash to a potash manufacturer which, at times, provided the sole source of income for the family. He also planted an orchard, naming the trees for his children. Years later, when an old tree was torn down, they would find the names of those children.

William Burdick (I402). Speaking of pioneers, did you know that Burdicks were amongst the original founders of Milwaukee, WI? William was one of the six pioneer settlers of Milwaukee, accompanied by Dea. Samuel Brown and Horace Chase. He left Chicago December 4, 1834, in a one-horse wagon containing a tent and baggage, and reached the site of Milwaukee about December 7. He located a claim where the present German market stood in the 1930s. He built the first house in Milwaukee in 1835, a one story frame dwelling, known as the 'Yellow House,' at the northwest corner of Second and Cherry Streets.

Maxson Family Errors and Facts

by Jane Maxson (jhm2727@cox.net)

(As you likely know the Maxson family, some of America's original Colonial settlers, has a history similar to the Burdicks. Jane Maxson lives in Westerly, RI and is a long-time contributor to this Newsletter. She has traced her family to a fine degree and recently wrote an article in the Rhode Island Genealogy Society (RIGS) Newsletter about how we must be careful of "facts" about our ancestors. -- HB)

RIGS Reporter
April 11, 2011

As historian of the Maxson Family Association, I have received many queries about information members have found on the internet. These are some of the errors:

Error: Richard Maxson was born in Boston, Suffolk Massachusetts, USA, in 1602.
Fact: Boston was settled in 1630 and it wasn’t the USA then.

Error: He died in Westerly, RI in 1643.
Fact: Westerly was settled in 1669.

Error: He married Rebecca Marbury who died in Westerly in 1656.
Fact: There was no Marbury daughter named Rebecca.

Error: Their daughter, Rebecca, was born on Aquidneck Island in 1637.
Fact: Aquidneck Island (Portsmouth) was settled in 1638.

Error: Richard and Rebecca came to Boston in 1634 on the 'Griffith'.
Fact: Their names are not on the passenger list of the 'Griffin'.

Error: Richard joined First Church, Boston August 2, 1634.
Fact: The date is given as the eighth month, October, on the old calendar.

Error: John Maxson was born 1638/39 after the death of his father.
Fact: John Maxson’s father, Richard, sold his land in Portsmouth in 1643

I chose these examples because they are so obvious to anyone who takes the time to check. So, don’t believe everything you see on the internet. Even Ancestry.com can be wrong.

9/11 Remembered

by Cindy Smith (cburdicksmith@sbcglobal.net)

(It is hard to believe that it has been 10 years already since that fateful day. I was trying to figure out a way to commemorate this anniversary, and Cindy answered my prayers. She is one of our family members in Houston, TX who happens to be a flight attendant. She was also in the air when our country was attacked. Following is her first-hand experience of that day. -- HB)

A decade ago, I was the Flight Service Manager on the earliest flight of the day from La Guardia to Houston.

We were close to landing in Houston when the Captain called me to say there had been a national emergency. He told us to sit down, NOW, we were landing!

Unbeknownst to me, we landed and did not have to divert elsewhere because of timing.

As I opened the door of the aircraft the Ground Supervisor said "There's been a national emergency, the President has grounded all aircraft."

I had the sense to get a Spanish speaker to tell passengers to call home as cell phone and land lines would be hard to use to get through to concerned family. That flight usually feeds into Mexico, Central and South America, so I knew families would be expecting a United States flight arrival and would be frantic when their loved ones didn't arrive on schedule.

As the crew was heading to the crew room for information we witnessed the first tower collapsing on a TV screen.

After two hours we were sent home in shock. I coordinated the crew's phone numbers and to be the spokesman with crew scheduling.

I flew two more trips to New York. I will never forget the firemen that we joked with near our hotel. The debris and smell in the air. The pictures of the missing in the park.

On my next two flights to New York the flights were full of rescue workers from all over the U.S. True brotherhood.

Upon arrival in New York my message conveyed that our prayers were with the city and the citizens in their loss of loved ones and in the rebuilding of their city.

It was a time that was both horrible and a renewed belief in humanity. As flight attendants, we loved to drop by the Engine 54 Firehouse to trade barbs with the guys, as they were so much fun. Such good times and such good guys!

The Memorial in New York is a beautiful tribute.

I can honestly say I knew true heroes.

Please visit The Uniformed Firefighters Association of Greater New York: www.ufanyc.org

Burdick News... Up-To-The-Minute!

Jack Burdick (jaburdick@aol.com) sends the following obituary of Edith Gail Burdick. If you are part of this family, please contact me as I would like to know how you connect to the greater Burdick family tree... BURDICK Edith Gail, Age 83 of Horseheads, NY passed away on Wednesday June 29, 2011. Gail was born April 26, 1928 in Horseheads, NY the daughter of the late Merle V. Baker and Helen Gilbert Baker Sr. She was pre-deceased by her husband Harold F. "Hal" Burdick in 1984 and by her son Harold F. "Bud" Burdick Jr. in 1992, her sister and brother-in-law Florence & Bill Tenny, her sisters–in-law and brothers-in-law: Fran & Chuck Wolf, Jean Pronti, and James & Tess Burdick. Mrs. Burdick is survived by her children: Bob & Sheila Burdick of NC, Barb & Bob Crandall, David & Mary Burdick, Debbie & Tony Liquori, Gail Burdick, Darlene & Gabe Platukis of Oneonta, NY, Tina Burdick Landis, Gary Burdick, Mick & Teri Burdick, and Pam & Tom Griffiths; 17 grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren; sisters and brothers: Merial Allen of Millerton, PA , Margaret Kowalski, Albert & Jean Baker, and Donna & Bruce Sprague all of Horseheads, NY, Merle "Butch" & Bonnie Baker of Odessa, NY, and Kenneth & Diane Baker of Horseheads, NY; brothers-in-law and sister-in-law: Michael Pronti of Elmira, NY and Jack & Cindy Burdick of Erin, NY; several nieces, nephews, cousins, and a host of caring friends.

Don Dietsch (ddietsch@msn.com) is seeking information about a couple of Burdicks. First, Calphrona Burdick (13 Apr 1812 - 9 Jun 1883) married Pierpont Whitney (1808 - 1888) in Portage Co., OH on Dec. 12, 1832. They has a son, Asahel who moved to Williams Co., OH in 1853. Second, Don is looking for information on Ichabod Burdick (20 Apr 1786 Madison, NY - 7 12 1847 Allen, MI) and Clarinda Barnes (15 Jan 1789 - 19 May 1837 Allen, MI. If you can help, please contact him.

Irwin Baker (IB77@aol.com) has been searching for information about his gg-grandmother, Hannah Burdick, for a long time. Hannah was born about 1794, was married to William Kingman about 1817 in Peru, NY, lived in Lewis, NY and died in Elizabethtown, NY in the 1870's. It appears she spent most if not all of her life in the Essex and Clinton Counties in New York, but Irwin is not sure if that is where she was born. Irwin has confirmed that her son, Nelson Kingman, fought in the Civil War. Another son, Stephen, died in 1915. Irwin has searched for many years now and has found a lot of Burdicks in the Essex and Clinton Counties, but he cannot find Hannah's parents or any other info about her. Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Aline Hornaday (ahornaday@ucsd.edu) is trying to identify a number of unsigned photos in her Canadian great-grandmother Jennie Weir's old album. The Weir family lived in New York and Ontario after emigrating from Scotland. The album appears to have been compiled over a number of years, dating from the nineteenth century. One photo is of a handsome elderly gentleman with a neatly trimmed beard and sideburns. On its reverse side is written the following inscription: "Wm Burdicks Photo presented to me by his son" (Signed) L. L. Moffat (Lydia Landon Moffat is Aline's other g-grandmother). It appears to have been taken in the studio of Brady Photo, which was probably located somewhere in Western Canada or Upstate New York. Reconstructing this branch of Aline's family history is proving to be extremely interesting and finding out who William Burdick was add to that interest.

Joan McConnon (mcconnon2@sbcglobal.net) reports that their Burdick Reunion was held July 9 at the home of Bobby Taylor in Manton, Michigan. There were about 50 people present, all descendants of George Washington (I210752) and Mary Jane Burdick. The oldest there was 90-year-old Keitha Belle Burdick McDaniel. Family members came from all around the state. There was a pot-luck lunch and a great time was had by all! The Reunion will be held again next year, if you want to attend (contact Joan).

Claus Valentin Buschardt's (claus@buschardt.dk) gg-grandfather is the father of Adelaide Marie Cozzens. Adelaide was married to Reginald Houghton Burdick (I2262) (b. July 16, 1884, Syracuse, NY). They were married on April 10, 1907. They had several children: Reginald H., Adelaide C., Edward Hall, Mary Marguerite, Elizabeth H. and Marguerite. But there the story ends. Do you have any knowledge of this line? If so, please contact Claus.

Tari Burdick Weston (tweston@harrisonsurgery.com) sends word that her uncle, Nelson N. Burdick Sr., 81, of Pennellville, NY, died on July 12, 2011. He was born to his late parents, Homer Clinton and Pansy (Kimball) Burdick on August 16, 1929. He worked at Carrier Corp. for 18 years; Village of Phoenix DPW totaling 31 years, much time as Superintendent. A member of Pennellville United Methodist Church; assistant chief for Pennellville Vol. Fire Dept.. Predeceased by his wife Helen M. (Jarvis) Burdick in 2000; a grandson, Jason Bell in 2005; a son-in-law, Randy Larson in 2007. Surviving are his children, Barbara (Robert) Morris, Gail (William) Godfrey, Debra Larson, Lauri (Danny) Cromp, Nelson N. Burdick, Jr., Lisa Burdick, Tina (Shawn) Thomas, Keith Burdick; nine grandchildren, Tondra, Will, Nick, Chris, Brandon, Caitlynn, Alan, Alex, Falesha; one great-grandchild, Angelo; several nieces, nephews, cousins.

MK (pilgrimkin@yahoo.com) is helping a friend with her genealogy and is hoping you can provide some information. She is trying to find out about Jay Paul Burdick, 1881-1952. MK does not know his parents' names. Jay is listed in the 1905 NY census with his first wife, Gertrude B. Walker. They were married in 1902 at Taylor, NY and divorced in June, 1913 In Lincoln, NE. In 1916 he married Bertha M. Sedam, also in Lincoln. MK also has Jay's 1918 World War I draft registration card that lists his birth date as Feb. 13, 1881. She thinks Jay's parents may be Elery Benjamin and Ermina "Minnie" (Potter) Burdick. Can you confirm this connection? Do you have any other clues?

Several years ago Richard Audette (painlesspc@comcast.net) visited Gettysburg, PA and came across a framed military document promoting Horatio Burdick of Company F, Eighth Regiment, Third Brigade of the Rhode Island Militia to Captain. He was promoted on May 11, 1863. Richard has been researching Horatio but has found nothing. He is hoping to find a relative who could provide some history on him and his family. A photo of the promotion document can be found under the "Photos" section of the Burdick Family Association web site.

Irwin Baker (IB77@aol.com) has been trying to break though his brick wall for a long time! He is seeking information about his gg-grandmother, Hannah Burdick Kingman. She was born about 1794, was married to William Kingman about 1817 in Peru, NY, lived in Lewis, NY and died in Elizabethtown, NY in the 1870's. It appears she spent most if not all of her life in the Essex and Clinton County, NY area but that may not be where she was born. Irwin has confirmed this information from the census, her son's, Nelson Kingman's, Civil War records (Irwin's g-grandfather) and her son Stephen's obituary in 1915. Irwin has searched for years and while he can find many Burdicks in the Essex/Clinton County area, he cannot find Hannah's parents or any other info about her. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Is anyone out there related to E. C. Burdick? If so, please contact me (howard@burdickfamily.org). I will soon be in possession of a scrapbook he put together that chronicles his time at Hamilton College (class of 1911) and subsequent trips to Europe. There are many documents in the scrapbook: receipts, dance cards, and most interestingly, a job offer from Dow Chemical, accompanied by a letter from his mother encouraging him to take the position. It would be great to have it returned to a direct descendant, so let me know if you are one.

Cheryl McDowell (cdmc63@aol.com) wanted to let everyone one know about a great source of information she discovered. Burdicks have lived in and around Brookfield, CT for many generations, and most of these ancestors are buried in the Laurel Hill Cemetery. There is now a publication called "The Cemeteries of Brookfield, Connecticut" that contains alphabetical listings of burials made between 1745 and 2003 for 13 different Brookfield cemeteries, including Laurel Hill Cemetery. Paper and CD versions of this book are available from The Brookfield Museum & Historical Society, P.O. Box 5231, Brookfield, CT 06804-5231. Their web site is www.brookfieldcthistory.org.

I always love a successful ending! You may remember that in the last Newsletter, Bill Burdick (burdickwm@gmail.com) and Kem Hart-Baker (Ptownpest@aol.com) had joined forces to research Lyman Gideon Raymond Burdick (I710764). Amongst other family members, they were trying to trace down the mysterious "Let", who was one the 12 children of Lyman G. R. and Harriet W. (Madison) Burdick. Well, I am happy to report they have found their man! Or in this case, their woman. Through a stroke of intuition, they realized that "Let" is short for "Lettie", which is a nickname for Celestia, who was one of Lyman G. R.'s known daughters. From there, the pieces fell into place and Kem and Bill completed their extensive update for this Burdick line (trust me, they broke down several other brick walls in the process.) Well done to both of you! And if you are struggling with your own family mystery, my advice is -- keep trying! Eventually you will be successful and I want to know about it when you are.

Howard Maxson (hcmaxson@hotmail.co) is a descendant of Varnum Phineas Maxson, (b. 02/01/1755, d. in Morristown, NY 09/29/1849.) According to the Burdick and Maxson Family Associations records, Varnum married Elizabeth Burdick on 12/04/1773, which makes her Howard's ggg-grandmother. She was the daughter of Carey (I103) and Dorcas (Cottrell) Burdick. But no one knows what happened to her. Do you? If so, please contact Howard.

David VanWye (dvanwye@comcast.net) has come into possession of an interesting artifact and is hoping to find out more about it. It is a silver bowl with the following inscription: "Don Burdick Heavyweight Race 1-12-23". Does anyone know more?

Dorothy Benish (dfbenish@sbcglobal.net) is a contributor to the Burdick genealogy, having provided extensive records on her family line. She is considering joining The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) and would appreciate some guidance on how to go about that. I know that several of you out there are DAR members, and if you can help Dorothy I would truly appreciate it. Thanks!

As a Lewis family member, Mary Cook (gslwmjc36@yahoo.com) has a mystery she is trying to solve. There appears to be a genetic connection between the Lewis and Satterlee families: a branch of the Satterlee family matches the descendants of John Lewis (b. 1701) of Westerly, RI. Actually, it is a very close match -- at the 67-marker DNA level. While there are not many Burdick/Satterlee family connections (only 49 Satterlees appear in the Burdick genealogy), Mary is hoping that one of you may know of an unrecorded adoption or other episode that could connect the Lewis and Satterlee families.

Copyright Howard E. Burdick 2019. All Rights Reserved.