Burdick Newsletters

Winter, 2012

Adelia Rosamond Burdick Attenborough, Part 2

submitted by Jane Skwirut (hskwiru1@tampabay.rr.com)

(The last Newsletter contained the first have of the autobiography of Jane's mother, Adelia. I believe everyone should write about their life. As you can see, it doesn't have to be long or fancy (although long and polished is great!), just something that includes those things we wish to let future historians know about us. I'm working on mine, you should be, too. -- HB)

Joe's brother Walter’s wedding night is when he and I had a sort of engagement. Jan. 22. He went to the wedding and brought me a little piece of fruit cake that was in a little box.

When my mother died Uncle Homer was made my guardian of the tiny insurance money she had on herself. Joe and I tried to get a marriage license without him on March 12, but we had to have him so it was March 14. We went to Joe’s minister’s parsonage and got married with only his wife as witness. He gave us a little booklet – Token of Marriage. I water colored the flowers in it.

I was fearful of going to live with Joe’s folks and my idea was for us to live in our respective homes, but was overruled and we lived with his mother and sister. The day of our marriage we went to visit his mother for a while and then to Aunt Susie’s and she fixed a nice lunch for the two of us. Joe worked in several places, when we got married his place of work was for the city stables and was right near I.C.S. At lunchtime we would meet for a while at the fence. He worked at the Woodlawn Dairy while we lived at his mother’s. He got wet feet there and got a little rheumatism and he had a severe cut from the bottles.

By the time we went to live in a basement room (Oct. 1921) at Aunt Susie’s he was working at the Ford Agency Garage in Green Ridge. I can’t remember the period of time that he went to New York City to drive a clothing manufacturer’s truck where Al was working then. Mildred joined Al there and they got married in 1922 and kept house in furnished rooms for a while.

We furnished our room with my mother’s cherry wood drop leaf table, cherry chest of drawers on which I found my father had written his name, Ralph T. Burdick. The sewing machine. We went in debt for linoleum, a nice gas range, 2 kitchen chairs, a bed, comforter. We bought a few pans and dishes. We fed the gas meter with Quarters. The room was heated by our gas stove.

A friend of Joe’s loaned us a diamond needle Edison upright Phonograph (which coincided with our first anniversary.) We had fun with that and we had company to celebrate the anniversary. I remember the Dworchacks were there and others (one of the Simonsons.) I made a coconut cake and Aunt Susie took over to help me make the boiled icing. It was good. Mr. D. wrote a song, “Never Say Goodbye.”

At work I was given a kitchen shower, two weeks after we were married. The party was help in the restaurant and party rooms on the top floor. I was given a silver bread tray and each girl gave a kitchen gadget with a poem attached. I remember Margaret Tuttle imitating a trombone player. Joe came for me later.

Jane was born in Hahneman Hospital around 12:30 A.M. on July 21, 1922. She was helped with instruments and her face and back was bruised.

We didn’t go back to the basement room. Dad found a 2 room furnished place on Adams Ave., near town. By this time he was working at the lunch counter (hot dogs and root beer) in McCrorys. One room was the bedroom and the other the kitchen. There was a 4x4 porch on the back. That’s where the wooden tub was that I used for laundry.

We were there only a matter of months when we got a 3-room flat (2nd floor) on Dickson at the railroad tracks where switching was done. We bought from the previous tenant a drop couch (opened for sleeping), a maple rocker and dresser. Jane had her first birthday there and I remember her Grandma A. and May came for dinner. While there it was decided Hazel and I would join the craze and have our hair bobbed. Dad did the cutting.

While there he also joined the Penna. National Guard. He was already in the order of owls and soon in the V.F.W. On Memorial Day, Dad was in the parade in his Navy uniform. When they arrived at May Aug park he helped launch a small battle ship laden with flowers on Everhart Lake.

I decided I wanted a night out for fun. I joined the Owls Aux. and help office and played the piano for opening and closing. Myrtle and, I think, Matilda belonged too. Sometimes there were dances and we all went. Jane went too and would go to sleep.

I guess in 1924 we moved to third floor of 916 Madison Ave. While there I remember a total eclipse of the sun at 9 A.M.

We lived there when Dad had pain which resulted in his going to the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia. He had a hernia and appendix operation and was there about a month. I got there to see him twice. One time May and I took a train at night to Philadelphia and May’s friends met us. Another time the Muellers, wig makers, took me in their car. The weather was hot.

He went to National Guard camp at Mt. Gretna every summer for two weeks. Sometimes he came home with foodstuff in a barrel. One or two slabs of bacon, 5 lb. cans of preserves, etc. He was cook.

On April 3, 1925, Thelma May was born 6 weeks prematurely. She weighed 4 lbs. 1 oz. and was kept wrapped in cotton and woolen blanket. We had her only 6 weeks. She and Jane got whooping cough from the children on the first floor. The children roamed anywhere.

At one point Dad worked for McCrory instead of the concession, I think. Anyway, he was out of work along this time. He and two men opened a car wash – one of them ran off with what little money there was. For a time he worked as a clerk in the Valley Hotel in Scranton. He would bring home one of the delicacies sometimes. Another time a man promoted a scheme of trying to market a reflector to hold the license plate. They would have a 20-mule team and tour the country. I think they got as far as North Carolina. They arrived home (had gone in an old car) in the Winter of 1928.

Al was in charge of the hot dog counter in McCrorys. Dad accepted a job to work at McCrorys lunch counter in Syracuse in Apt. 1928. Grandma A. died the previous Feb. at 61 years of age. We owed a month’s rent, $25, so we left our furniture there and took very little which we left with Al and Mildred. After one month the Syracuse store burned so we went back to Al and Mildred’s and stayed a month at half pay.

We lived in furnish places. When we made friends with the Seebers, we both lived at 321 Seymour St. I don’t know what year it was that May and Franklin came to live in the apartment Seebers lived in. They stayed at that address only a short time. She worked in Chappels Dept. store office. Franlin went to Nursery each day. We had many good times with the Seebers. We went swimming at the city parks and went on weekends to their camp on Oneida Lake. They owned a coupe. Dad and Jane rode in the trunk.

In 1932 Dad was transferred to the lunch counter in McCrorys in Asbury Park. Until this time he received a bonus on sales at the end of the year. In Sept. 1933 he was transferred to a larger counter in Allentown, Pa. By Feb. 1934, we moved again to Passaic, N.J. In Sept. of that year Dad and I separated for 6 or 8 weeks before reconciliation. Jane and I had gone to live at Aunt Susie’s and Uncle Homer’s in Haledon. Dad bought the turkey for Thanksgiving at Aunt Susie’s.

During my stay there, I experienced the coldest house in my life. They had no fuel for heat or cooking in a very cold spell. I gave Jane some money for her to get breakfast before going to school.

Dad got a furnished apartment for us on Westervelt Pl., Passaic. We moved in during the Christmas holiday. It was a nice place, but on the third floor, on a terrace and on a hill. We could see the New York skyline.

Peggy was born Oct. 11, 1935 at St. Mary’s Hospital, Passaic. While we were in the hospital Dad was out of work because his company lost out in the stock market and that finished Liberty Enterprises.

The McCrory manager hired him and shortly he was transferred to McCrorys store in Orange. He got $20 a week. We had to sell our small insurance. He commuted from Passaic through that winter until April 1936. It was a cold winter to be waiting for buses.

In 1935 I joined the auxiliary of the Passaic Post V.F.W. as a charter member. Before Peggy was born they surprised me with a baby shower.

Adelia Rosamond Burdick Attenborough.
(My mother read the novel "Rosamond," therefore I was named after that.)

Dr. Arthur Franklin Burdick

Submitted by Becky McLaughlin (becky13tex@yahoo.com)

(In the last Newsletter I mentioned Dr. Arthur Franklin Burdick. Becky found this wonderful account of his life in his own words. This appeared in the 'History of Jericho, Vermont', pages 417–424, and is available at Ancestry.com, Stories and Publications. -- HB)

Arthur lived at home on the farm until sixteen years of age. He then became an apprentice to one Luther Macomber, a carpenter in Jericho. After serving three years with Mr. Macomber he then became his partner during the year 1849, and continued that relationship during the spring and summer.

Gold having been discovered in California in 1848, there was much excitement attending it while many rushed by sea and land to the newly found fields. Arthur Burdick had a severe attack of ‘gold fever’ then epidemically raging and would not be dispossessed of the idea that he, too, ought to seek his fortune there. We append the story of his experiences in his own words:

One Saturday night in September, 1849, after finishing work I picked up my tools and told my partner, Mr. Macomber, that our co-partnership was ended. He expressed some surprise when I told him I had decided to go to California. We were then building a house for Eliflet Balch in Jericho. Mr. Balch paid me for my share of the job and I gathered what money I had saved during the spring and summer. The sum was not large, not much over one hundred dollars. I asked my father to sign a note with me to Deacon Truman Galusha, of Jericho, for two hundred dollars. I knew Galusha would let me have the money, for I had gotten into his good graces while building a house for him and his son, Rollin Galusha, the previous summer. Father said, ‘Yes, I will do it, for it is probably the last thing I can ever do for you.’ We obtained the money. I packed my grip, and with the old white mare, which had been so associated with my farm life, father drove me to Burlington where I bade him good bye.

The Rutland railroad had just been completed into Burlington, at which place I took the train. In Boston, I fell in with a company of men from Burlington who had engaged passage to San Francisco on the new clipper ship Reindeer, owned by Sampson and Tappan and commanded by a Captain Lord, a sea faring man, who had doubled Cape Horn fourteen times. Of course I wanted to go with them, but having bought a few carpenter tools I hadn’t money enough to pay my passage. I went to ship’s office and plead my case and obtained passage. Two hundred and twelve of us, including the crew boarded the ship. As the sails were set and the wind increased, a change came over the happy party. I was so sick I retained but little food for three weeks, but after that was well the remainder of the voyage. Our recreation was wrestling, boxing, fencing, and playing games. The trip took one hundred and twenty-nine days at sea, stopping five or six days at Valparaiso, Chile for fresh water and provisions.

I shall never forget passing through the Golden Gate. The tide was running in at the time and we floated with it as though borne on by a mighty river. We anchored quite a little distance off shore in front of San Francisco, which was then a small village with few building, but several tents. The number of sea fowl surprised us. The flocks were so large that they darkened the air as clouds when they flew about. We were taken ashore in small boats, there being no wharves then of any size. While there about two thirds of the city was destroyed by fire, the buildings being of cheap frame work covered by canvas. I found the place a disagreeable one to work in. The strong trade winds which freshened every afternoon filled the air with ashes and dirt much to our discomfort.

After leaving San Francisco I settled in Sonora, one of the richest gold mining points in the state. When I reached this place, there were no wooden building, only tents and brush shanties, some being covered with raw hides. I was the boss carpenter of the place and built the first wooden building erected there. My business was general carpenter work, building houses, gold washers, long toms, sluices and pumps for the miners, also tables and benches for hotels and restaurants. I also built the first steam mill that was erected in that part of the state.

My old friend and former partner, Luther Macomber of Jericho, came on later and we became business associates again and continued together about fourteen months. We saved some money. I think I saved more while he was with me than before.

I was in California during the exciting times of the ‘Vigilance committee.’ If I should write of all the thrilling and exciting scenes through which I passed and which I witnessed during my three years’ sojourn there, it would fill a large volume.

I returned to Vermont in the spring of 1852. I brought home money enough to pay the expenses of my medical education and had some to loan to the farmers of Underhill and Jericho. I practiced my profession in Underhill, Jericho and surrounding towns until failing health compelled me to relinquish active work.

Genealogy For Fun and Relaxation

By Robin Moore (dragonbard13166@yahoo.com)

(Sometimes special people just appear out of nowhere. Robin is one of those. She contacted me about Willard Bruce Burdick (1840-1914). Actually, she informed me I had his name incorrectly listed as William. She also sent me a picture of his headstone from the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Port Byron, NY. She also sent an obituary of Glenn H. Burdick from 1991. But here's the best part... Robin is not related to Willard, Glenn, or any Burdick! She just thought that this information would help someone else. Pretty special. We traded a few emails and I could not put my finger on how to describe her until Robin herself used the word -- inspirational. I thought you would enjoy reading about her philosophy about genealogy and perhaps also find inspiration in her words. -- HB)

Glad to have been able to help with Willard. This is what I do for fun and relaxation. Only those of us who are truly dedicated to this type of work would understand this, though. I even enjoy digging around for people who aren't directly related to me since you never know when you might find something that will relate your line with theirs.

One of my favorite stories of this occurred while I was doing Civil War research and was contacted by a man who was looking for info on his wife's ancestor, Jacob Jacobe. I found all I could at the time and sent it, but kept a copy for myself. Jacob had served in a regiment I did work on and was also from Fabius, NY where I have numerous relatives.

Well, a couple years ago I was working on one of my lines, the Rainbows out of Fabius and surrounding towns, and found out they were related to me through not only my Hitchcock line but my Kenyons also! I was excited but then I found out the Rainbows and the Jacobes were related too! I was ecstatic!

I pulled out the old information I had and put it all into my tree and then tried contacting my original Jacobe contact. It took a couple years to find him as he had moved, but he saw one of my postings and we hooked back up. it was amazing! So I never believe that someone who appears to be completely unrelated couldn't be if I keep working. I try to keep track of every one I run into.

As for how I determined Willard's lineage, it was a combination of checking other people's trees and cross-referencing local data sources. Port Byron is only about 3 miles from where I live and I could do a lot of work personally as well as by computer. Then I checked census data, etc. I'll pull up all my data and send it to you shortly so you have sources to go along with the Willard's information.

I have noticed in many other families that some of the descendants that ended up here in the central part of New York don't seem to get documented. I'm not sure exactly why but some of it appears to be the fact that this was the wilderness for so long and people lost touch with family living in more heavily populated areas. I frequently have this problem, family lines just get lost.

Granted, this area is now quite populated, but even during the Civil War, Syracuse wasn't much of a city and I'm west of there, so you can imagine how sparse the population was around here. The Erie Canal did help bring a lot of people out this way though. The town I live in, Weedsport, was incorporated about 1806, I believe, but is still not any bigger now than it was during those days. We may have 2000 people living within the village limits, and Port Byron is even smaller and more isolated.

At least we had the canal and some of the major roads coming either through town or just outside. We now have the Thruway exit here and that brings a lot of business. But there are many areas within 50 miles of me that are pretty isolated still so once people get to those areas, they sorta disappear.

I wouldn't live elsewhere though, I already did and came back! So, hopefully once I can pull out all the data I have on Willard, it'll clarify everything. If you end up needing more data, just ask, I'll see what else I can find. I love doing work like this!

I tried doing a little research on Glenn but didn't come up with much of anything. I suspect someone out there will have more information on him. I know I saw mention of Glenn's wife passing and her obit in one of the older Newsletters so maybe the woman who sent that will have more information. I can't remember her name but I do remember the info being there. The Syracuse area Burdick's seem to be a pretty decent sized group, so someone must know more.

I'll get back to you shortly on Willard. I have to dig through the pile on my desk and see what is saved on my computer. I have a feeling your desk looks a lot like mine... (LOL) piles of census data, letters, family sheets and miscellaneous bits and pieces of information that belong somewhere in the tree! It does accumulate quickly. And every time I tell myself I just need to add everything that is on my desk, I end up with a question and hop back online to do some cross-referencing and the next thing I know I have 20 more pieces of paper... the pile never goes away! Guess that is good, though, as it keeps me busy and learning more and more all the time!

Not everyone can be a genealogist or a family historian but people should never underestimate what they do. I could never deal with organizing data, I tend to get off on tangents when something catches my eye and my interest. So I guess we could say that genealogists find the raw data, family historians "put the meat on the bones" that turn the raw data into a story, and facilitators present the story to the people. You really need all these people involved to get the final product.

I like to hear about other people and their successes, it keeps me motivated, especially when I hit a brick wall, as I often do. If I hear about someone else making it over a wall, I know I can do it, too. If someone makes a connection that is unexpected and leads to more and more family, that's great. I love to know that others deal with the same frustrations and triumphs I do.

I think many others would feel the same. That's why we join groups, to share the data and the experience. Sure, lots of people are interested in their own family history, but there are some of us who take it beyond just our own family and dig to find more remote relatives. To find out who they really were, not just a few names and dates and maybe locations. Anyone can do that, but it takes a special sort of person to do what we do.

We are the modern-day bards. We tell the tales, sing the songs, and keep the traditions and experiences of our people alive. We learn who they were, not just the name they went by. We learn about what they did for a living, the children they had and lost and the ones who did make it to provide us the next generation. We learn about how they suffered, fought, and won whatever it was... a war, a disease, a drought or just a move to a new location.

But maybe the most important thing we do is to tell the story of young America and her struggles to become a nation and how each successive generation adds to us. We, you and I and everyone else who contributes in their own way, have a very important job to do and we do it because we love to do it. So if you feel my odd ramblings might be of interest or inspiration to others, go ahead and share it.

Things are OK here today. Wet and chilly, football on TV, day off tomorrow... so it's good! The cat is napping in the chair across the room, my kids are in bed and my man is off at work. I can't ask for a better situation to get my work done. I'm happy!

Burdick News... Up-To-The-Minute!

I thought a good way to start off this section was to relay a wonderful sentiment from Aline Hornaday (ahornaday@ucsd.edu). Her father was French and often quoted the French proverb "Petit a petit, l'oiseau fait son nid", which means "Little by little, the bird makes her nest". It rhymes in French and children there hear it a lot, counseling against impatience and hasty conclusions. Aline finds this to be true of most things and especially of genealogy. So she wishes us all success in our nest-building! I couldn't agree more.

Next, I want to admit to an error I made in the last Newsletter. Mary Cook (slwmjc36@yahoo.com) posted a mystery related to the Lewis and Satterlee families. Unfortunately, I mangled her email address. It is slwmjc36@yahoo.com. If you had tried to contact her and couldn't, please try again -- and blame me! Guess I should be more careful when I cut-and-paste.

Penny Burdick (drpennysequim@gmail.com) wanted to inform all of us that her mother, Aural Eloise Mathiesen Burdick, (b. November 7, 1914) passed away on September 30, peacefully, at her assisted living apartment in Sequim, Washington at the age of 96. He husband of 71 years, Jesse Gordon Burdick, died earlier this year on March 15. They leave behind 3 children, 11 grandchildren, many great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great grandchild. While the family will miss their physical presence, they will live on in their thoughts and hearts. Gordon and Eloise were highlighted in the Winter, 2010 Burdick Newsletter.

In the Fall, 2010 Newsletter, Diane (DIANE.JIM@roadrunner.com) posted a request for information about Eva Burdick who married William Denhoff, who is Diane's grandfather. She has a lot of information about William but not much on Eva. You can refer back to the Fall, 2010 Newsletter for the full story, but Diane has found out a little more information. Eva may be the daughter of Almon and Emma (Button) Burdick, who appear in Nellie Johnson's 1952 supplement. The Burdicks and Buttons were early settlers of Springville, PA and intermarried several times. Right now, Diane is looking for information on Eva's daughter, Maud (or Maude). She was only 6 years old when Eva died and Diane cannot find anything about her. If you know this family, or are a part of the Burdick/Button line, please contact Diane -- she has hit a brick wall. Thanks.

Homer Burdick (burd14626@yahoo.com) is seeking information about Nathan Burdick who served in the Civil War. Nathan resided in the Forest Country, PA area. If you are familiar with or from the Hickory or Tionesta, PA area and are able to shed some light on this branch of the Burdick family dating back to the 1850s, please contact Homer.

Scott Bill Hirst (scottbillhirst@yahoo.com) Wanted to let everyone know about an important new organization. The Society of the Sons and Daughters of World War II Veterans has been formed. It is a lineage society for participants in World War II and their descendants. Creation of the Society was posted in the Rhode Island Genealogy Society Reporter, August, 2011.Their web site is www.sonsanddaughtersofww2veterans.org.

On a related note, in the last Newsletter, Dorothy Benish (dfbenish@sbcglobal.net) was seeking guidance on joining The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). Jane Maxson (jhm2727@cox.net) was able to lend assistance but wanted to let everyone know that members of a local DAR group are usually available to help guide the interested person in the intricacies of establishing a relationship with a Revolutionary War participant. Members will likely have the necessary credentials to research in the respective state. So if you are interested in DAR membership, that's how you can start. Thanks, Jane!

Cindy Smith (cburdicksmith@sbcglobal.net) came across a very good article written by Dr. Shellee Morehead (shellee@shelleemorehead.com). Entitled "Seventh Day Baptists for Genealogists", Dr. Morehead details the origins of the Seventh Day Baptist (SDB) Church in Rhode Island, of which Burdicks were one of the founding families. She covers the Church's spread through Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Wisconsin and Colorado and provides Church resources for researchers. The article appeared in the Spring 2011 issue of American Ancestors[Vol. 12, no. 2], the magazine of the New England Historic Genealogical Society. It is not yet available free online. Dr. Morehead is a professional genealogist, her web site is www.shelleemorehead.com.

As usual, you guys came through to bring a little joy into someone's life. In October I asked you to send cards and emails to Ruth (Burdick) Stanton who was nearing the end of her life. Sarah Miller (scba@beeze.com) reports that Ruth received over 40 emails and, as Ruth described it, mail by the "stacks"! Sarah says she was astounded and took great comfort in them. Thank you for your kindness. Unfortunately, Ruth is no longer with us. As her family passes along... Ruth Burdick Williams Stanton gave up her long struggle with pancreatic cancer this morning (October 25, 2011) at 4:40am. She was in her daughter Margaret's arms and died with a smile on her face. She had endured so much for so many long months and refused pain medication to the end. She would rather hurt than sleep, the pain a reminder she was still alive. 'Granny Ruth' was simply a remarkable woman.

This is news I am much happier to pass along. Nolan and Summer (Burdick) Banish (smburdick@gmail.com) want to announce the arrival of their son, Leland. Summer is the g-granddaughter of Aubrey Burdick (I3116). Congrats!

Dawn Buell (dawnbuell@msn.com) came across this obituary and thought you might be interested. If you are a member of this family, please contact me (howard@burdickfamily.org), as this is an unrecorded Burdick line... Dean K. Burdick, age 79, went to be with his Lord on Monday, October 3, 2011. He proudly served his country in the U.S. Navy. He was preceded in death by his wife, Patricia (Burns); and brother, Orson. Surviving are his children, Keith (and fiancee, Paulette) Burdick, Deborah (Kevin) Byers, Brenda (Vince) Smith; nine grandchildren; his sisters, Pauline Weitzel, Marguerete Phelps, Jean Cook, and Elizabeth Hines. Interment in Kent Memorial Gardens, Grand Rapids, MI.

You may remember that in the Summer, 2011 Newsletter, Catherine (Harris) Nielsen (cfhnmd@gmail.com) was seeking information about her grandmother, Phoebe Ann Burdick (1856-1925), who was married to Gerald/Edwin Harris. Cathy has run into nothing but trouble. She has found them in the Illinois death index (they lived in Iowa but appear to have moved across the Mississippi River for the last few years of their lives) and were taken back to Epworth, IA for burial. But that's the end of the good news. It lists her father and mother as being born in Pennsylvania which is contradictory to other information and it also says her father was Philip Burdick while the census lists her father's name as Elisha. To complicate matters, several censuses list Edwin as being born in NY, PA, and even OH, while his death index says both his parents were born in NY while another Harris source indicates they were from PA. Elisha Burdick and James Harris (Phoebe's and Edwin's parents) brought their families to Iowa in 1863 at advanced ages and both died within the next couple of years. Cathy thinks a group of Pennsylvanians, including other Harris families, came together to Iowa causing record confusion. She is at a loss... can anyone help?

Rick Beveridge (idahobeveridges@msn.com) is hoping you can help with his Burdick connection. His g-grandfather, Frank L. Beveridge, married Lillian A. Burdick (b. 3 Feb 1862, New York) on 20 November 1884. Lillian's brother, William (b. October 1860), married Frank's sister, Marian, on 28 May 1885. According to the records Rick was able to find, Lillian's and William's parents were Shilos (b. 1831, New York) and Agness (b. 1836, New York) Burdick. William's Obituary says he was born in Amboy, New York. The 1880 Federal Census shows they all lived in Chicago, IL with an aunt, Laura Coburn. Rick has hit a dead end with Shilos and Agness Burdick. Any clues?

I (howard@burdickfamily.org) have been in contact with someone who has a unique piece of Burdick history and is trying to find a home for it -- preferably in a museum. It is an Electric Light Bath, which was a medical device used in the late 19th century and early 20th century. It was thought to provide therapeutic affects for rheumatic, anemic and other types of patients. The device was made by the Burdick Cabinet Co. of Milton, Wis. and carries the serial Number 198. The Milton House Museum would be a natural home for this artifact, but to date they have been unresponsive regarding its acquisition. If you have any suggestions as to what to do with this device (it is rather large), please let know. Thanks!

You just never know what connections you make once you start investigating! Ed Chilton (edchilton@charter.net) was researching the history of documentary film maker Michael Moore, whose ancestors settled at Lake Nissessing, near Lapeer, Michigan. When Ed looked at the 1870 Michigan census, he found that Silas and Catherine Moore lived next door to Edward and Ellen Burdick! By the 1880 census the Burdicks had moved away. But nothing more can be found about Edward and Ellen. Their children's names are Edward, Almira, Wesley, Mary, Lewis and Walter. Actually, Ellen may not be Edward's wife (or first wife) since the census record lists her age as 30 (Edward's is 52) and the oldest child, also Edward, is 17. Do you know more about this family?

Jane Skwirut (hskwiru1@tampabay.rr.com) came across the obituary: "Burdick, Earl Carson, Jr. of St. Petersburg, FL, dies Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2011. He is survived by sons Clifford, James: grandson Michael Dorner; sisters, Donna Theis (Scott) and Dianne Williams (John)." This family does not appear in the Burdick genealogy, so if you are a part of this line please contact me. Thanks.

Rose Vosburgh-Jakupaj (northbird1952@yahoo.com) is looking for information about Judson Greenman (I1003562, d. 1913), the second husband of Sally M. Burdick (I110668, b. 1832, d. 1911). Judson's parents are Perry Greenman and Jane ?. Perry's parents are Samuel Greenman and Ruth Northrup. Ruth's father is David Northrup. Rose has hit a wall and cannot find anything more about Judson. If you can help, please contact her. Thanks.

And finally, Jim Street (aranman1@gmail.com) wanted to let everyone know that a copy of Frank Mueller's book, "The Burdick Family Chronology" and Nellie Johnson's 1952-53 Supplement are available on eBay. I don't know if the bidding is still going on, but if you are interested in either of these works you may want to check it out.

Copyright Howard E. Burdick 2019. All Rights Reserved.