Burdick Newsletters

Fall, 2015

Types of English Surnames

Submitted by Howard Burdick (howard@burdickfamily.org)

(I saw this on Ancestry.com a while ago and thought it was interesting. Thought you would enjoy it, too. As an aside, I suspect the same rules apply to other countries and languages. You may remember that our family researcher in Germany, Josef Bauerdick, contends that the name "Burdick" originated in the Rhine region of Germany (I also subscribe to this theory) and means "Farmer by the Lake" -- HB)

There Are 7 Types of English Surnames — Which One Is Yours?

Many of us have surnames passed down to us from ancestors in England. Last names weren’t widely used until after the Norman conquest in 1066, but as the country’s population grew, people found it necessary to be more specific when they were talking about somebody else. Thus arose descriptions like Thomas the Baker, Norman son of Richard, Henry the Whitehead, Elizabeth of the Field, and Joan of York that, ultimately, led to many of our current surnames.

There are perhaps 45,000 different English surnames, but most had their origins as one of these seven types.


Occupational names identified people based on their job or position in society. Calling a man “Thomas Carpenter” indicated that he worked with wood for a living, while someone named Knight bore a sword. Other occupational names include Archer, Baker, Brewer, Butcher, Carter, Clark, Cooper, Cook, Dyer, Farmer, Faulkner, Fisher, Fuller, Gardener, Glover, Head, Hunt or Hunter, Judge, Mason, Page, Parker, Potter, Sawyer, Slater, Smith, Taylor, Thatcher, Turner, Weaver, Woodman, and Wright (or variations such as Cartwright and Wainwright) — and there are many more.

This kind of name also gave a clue about whom a servant worked for. Someone named Vickers might have been a servant to Mr. Vicker, and someone named Williams might either have served a William or been adopted by him.

From the obscure fact department: In medieval England, before the time of professional theater, craft guilds put on “mystery plays” (“mystery” meaning “miracle”), which told Bible stories and had a call-and-response style of singing. A participant’s surname — such as King, Lord, Virgin, or Death — may have reflected his or her role, which some people played for life and passed down to their eldest son.

Describing a personal characteristic

Some names, often adjectives, were based on nicknames that described a person. They may have described a person’s size (Short, Long, Little), coloring (Black, White, Green, or Red, which could have evolved into “Reed”), or another character trait (Stern, Strong, Swift). Someone named Peacock might have been considered vain.

From an English place name

A last name may have pointed to where a person was born, lived, worked, or owned land. It might be from the name of a house, farm, hamlet, town, or county. Some examples: Bedford, Burton, Hamilton, Hampshire, Sutton. Writer Jack London’s stepfather may have hailed from London.

From the name of an estate

Those descended from landowners may have taken as their surname the name of their holdings, castle, manor, or estate, such as Ernle or Staunton. Windsor is a famous example — it was the surname George V adopted for the British royal family.

From a geographical feature of the landscape

Some examples are Bridge, Brooks, Bush, Camp, Fields, Forest, Greenwood, Grove, Hill, Knolles, Lake, Moore, Perry, Stone, Wold, Wood, and Woodruff. Author Margaret Atwood is probably descended from someone who lived “at the wood.”

Patronymic, matronymic, or ancestral

Patronymic surnames (those that come from a male given name) include Benson (“the son of Ben”), Davis, Dawson, Evans, Harris, Harrison, Jackson, Jones (Welsh for John), Nicholson, Richardson, Robinson, Rogers, Simpson, Stephenson, Thompson, Watson, and Wilson.

Matronymic ones, surnames derived from a female given name, include Molson (from Moll, for Mary), Madison (from Maud), Emmott (from Emma), and Marriott (from Mary).

Scottish clan names make up one set of ancestral surnames. These include Armstrong, Cameron, Campbell, Crawford, Douglas, Forbes, Grant, Henderson, Hunter, MacDonald, and Stewart.

Signifying patronage

Some surnames honored a patron. Hickman was Hick’s man (Hick being a nickname for Richard). Kilpatrick was a follower of Patrick.

Wondering whether your family name is English? Try plugging your surname into the Ancestry Last Names Meanings and Origins widget. Type in the surname “Duffield,” and you’ll see it’s English, a “habitational name from places in Derbyshire and East Yorkshire, so named from Old English Dufe ‘dove’ + feld ‘open country.’”

Murder in Montgomery County

Submitted by Tim Hall (timhall1@gmail.com)

(Tim has extensively traced his Burdick lineage and has provided a complete update of his line for the Burdick genealogy. He has come across numerous detailed accounts of his ancestors, including Thomas E. Burdick (I10120003), a well-known and respected member of his community, who was murdered on Independence Day, 1870 in the small town of St. Johnsville, NY. Following is the account of the events leading up to that tragic day, as reported in The New York Times. -- HB)

New York Times, 9 Jul 1870, p.2:
Special Correspondence of the Troy Daily Times.

ST. JOHNSVILLE, July 5, 1870. - Sixty miles west of Troy, and located on the Central road, there nestles at the foot of a series of hills a quiet village which suddenly has acquired a bloody fame. Its population is about one thousand, and it is the abode of general wealth and prosperity. The enormous dairying business of the surrounding country has enriched the whole region, and one of the marks of improvement is a stately building whose lofty site overlooks the village and is known as the Union school. A powerful stream drives several mills, and in this manner industry and success go hand in hand. It is a place of general peace and good order, and deeds of violence are rarely known in its precinct. Such was the place which was to be the scene of one of the foulest and most wanton murders ever heard of, and one which even bloody New York has seldom equaled.


In the little hamlet of Ephratah, five miles distant, there has lived for many years a man of noted intelligence and mental capacity, who owned a small farm, but whose tastes led him to the work of education and the law. He was addicted to practice. In such small cases as come before a Justice of the Peace, and also had a license to plead in the Supreme Court. Mr. Burdick as a school teacher had few equals, and he was wont to ply his vocation in the large towns in this valley. Last Fall he was invited to take charge of the institution in this place which flourished under his care as it never had before. He was for these reasons one of the most valued members of the community. His age was about forty-five. He married twenty years ago a Miss Chase of Amsterdam, and had three children.


The Eacker family is in Montgomery county both widely extended and highly respectable, but like other families it has its "black sheep." Charles Eacker has lived in various parts of this county (Montgomery), and has always been troubling himself and others. He married the daughter of James Quackenbush of Fonda, and his rights as an heir of the latter should be worth several thousand dollars. He has had a good opportunity of making money since his business (farming) is accounted as profitable as any other. But Charles Eacker was controlled by a sullen and revengeful spirit, which was aggravated by intemperance. He was continually at law, and a member of the county bar stated to me that he had paid enough cost in the Montgomery County Court House to buy the building. Law kept him poor, and at last he sunk into the condition of a farm laborer, and was generally regarded as a bad member of society. He carried "grudges," as they are called, with sleepless tenacity, and revenge seemed to be the ruling passion.


Various reports are rife, one of which is that Burdick's father, while serving as Justice of the Peace many years ago, had been the instrument of punishment inflicted on Eacker's father, a fact which in his view was good basis of a "grudge." This, however, does not seem sufficient to explain the crime, and another statement is to be considered which bears more strongly on the case. Last March a five dollar bet was made concerning some trifling question, and Eacker was one of the parties to it. Thomas Burdick's reputation for honesty led to the request that he should hold the stakes, a request which I suppose, came from the other party, inasmuch as Eacker's "grudge" would have prevented a personal solicitation. A few days afterward Eacker applied to the stakeholder for the return of his money. The latter replied that he would comply if an order was obtained from the other party, and supposed that this would be done. Instead of this, however, Eacker immediately sued Burdick. The latter, whose school duties prevented his personal attention to the matter, requested a legal friend (Hon. Hezekial Baker) to appear in his behalf. Mr. Baker found the entire proceedings so erroneous that they met a speedy termination, and Eacker, with bitter disappointment, paid costs and withdrew the suit.


The citizens of St. Johnsville planned a celebration and invited Editor Mathewson of Fort Plain to deliver the oration, while the village favorite, Thomas Burdick, was designated as the reader of the day. The affair came off in a grove near the village, and was an entire success. The throng, of course, was great and among its members was Charles Eacker, with his "grudge." Eacker had nursed his wrath for this special occasion. Murder was now his absorbing passion. To see Thomas Burdick thus honored was beyond endurance, and revenge demanded his blood. A new revolver that day was obtained and each of its five barrels loaded, and with this in his pocket Eacker publicly uttered his threats, while frequent drinks nerved him to the deed. Some of Burdick's friends were alarmed lest he should be waylaid at midnight while on the road to Ephratah, but none dreamed of the infernal nature of Eacker's revenge.


The day passed rapidly. A fine dinner and other suitable appointments of the occasion came off. Burdick with his wife and children were guests of marked honor, and were invited to attend Independence call at Brigg's tavern a fete which was close to the celebration. As Burdick boarded at this house, he might be looked for among its crowd, and here his enemy sought him. Two sets of cotillions had brought the entertainment to midnight, and some of the dancers had come down to get fresh air, and were passing through the lobby attached to the bar. In this apartment a number of the guests, male and female, were conversing on the events of the day, when suddenly one of the group was seen to draw a pistol from his pocket, take aim, fire, and slip the pistol back to his pocket as though to hide the act. It was the culmination of a life of revenge. Burdick sank to the ground with a cry of agony while the shrieks of his wife filled the room with dismay. Eacker was seized, making no resistance, while his victim was conveyed to his chamber, and the village physician, Dr. Wheelock, was summoned to his bed side. The doctor did not consider the wound immediately fatal. The ball had followed the back-bone and was lodged in the left lung, and hence the case was hopeless, but it was thought that life might be prolonged. Had it been known at the time the deed was done that death was so near at hand, Eacker would have been torn to pieces by the enraged community. The wounded man received all possible ministration and seemed quite comfortable until 11 A. M. the next day, when he sank rapidly and expired, a noble victim to a "grudge." Eacker was handcuffed at once, watched all night and then conveyed to Fonda jail. Public indignation is hot for speedy vengeance, but as the grand jury does not meet until October his case must suffer delay. His natural obtuseness, (I might rather call it un-natural,) still marks the murderer, and it is said that after being locked up he went to sleep as though entirely indifferent to the fate which overhangs him. Such is the history of the St. Johnsville tragedy, and such the issue of an "old grudge."

(Here is a follow-up on how things ended for Charles Eacker. -- HB)

The Montgomery County, NY historian posted the following account:

Held in the Court of Oyer and Terminer, the trial opened April 5, 1871 with H. Baker and McIntyre Fraser as the prosecuting attorneys. H.B. Cushney and W.L. VanDenburg defended Eacker. Wilson testified that, upon questioning the suspect as to a motive for the shooting, Eacker replied “he ought to have been shot five or six years ago.” This testimony was stricken from the record on the grounds that the defendant was only in custody of the witness at the time.

According to the trial transcript, Eacker did not testify on his own behalf. Having been found guilty of Murder in the 1st Degree, he was sentenced to hang on May 26, 1871 between the hours of 10 o’clock in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. A newspaper article, written at the time of the trial, indicated that Eacker could have gotten a lesser charge by pleading insanity as that disease was hereditary in the Eacker family – a brother committed suicide and a sister suffered a “mental aberration.”

Eacker’s own attempts at suicide immediately after the trial were thwarted when he tried to throw himself over the banister on the stairs leading to his cell, only to have slightly injured his head. On another occasion, Eacker’s attempt to overdose on opium was detected by prison officials.

His professions of innocence continued throughout his stay in Fonda. Although expressing some remorse toward Burdick and his family for this situation they were in, Eacker continued to exhibit his vindictive behavior by allegedly telling his son “that he must be a good boy and try to do right but if anybody does injury, get even with them.”

Eacker remained stoic until moments before the execution when he refused to have a bag over his head in order to let his spirit fly up like a butterfly. Ironically, reports by the Amsterdam Evening Recorder noted that just after the rope swung Eacker up, a butterfly appeared on his chest, having an eerie effect upon the audience.

Thomas Burdick left a widow, Felicia, and at least two daughters. After her husband’s death, Felicia Burdick removed with her daughters from their home in Ephratah to Amsterdam where she taught school at the Amsterdam Academy at the top of Wall Street. Mrs. Burdick died in Chicago in 1889 at the age of 59.

The fate of Eacker’s family after his execution is unknown. Attempts to locate them in census records bore no result.

Charles Eacker was the second man to be hanged in Montgomery County. Coincidentally, the first man, by the name of Fox, also committed murder in St. Johnsville on July 4th 1842. There must be something about that date – but that would be another story!

The Adventures Osmer Cuddeback Griffin

Submitted by Tim Hall (timhall1@gmail.com)

(Here is another example of Tim's research. Have you ever had the feeling that you would have truly enjoyed meeting an ancestor? That's how I feel about Osmer Cuddeback Griffin (I10120062). I think you will see why when you read the following about his life, starting at a young age. Tim believes his rather odd name comes from his uncle. -- HB)

New York Times, 10 Apr 1901
Osmun [sic] Griffin of Huguenot, N. Y., Saves a Girl Playmate from Drowning.
Special to The New York Times.

PORT JERVIS, N. Y., April 9. A small mountain stream that furnishes water power for a sawmill at Huguenot, four miles north of here, was the scene of a plucky rescue yesterday afternoon on the part of Osmun [sic] Griffin, the nine-year-old son of Albert Griffin of that village.

The recent heavy rains have swelled the rivulet to a torrent. Late in the afternoon Osmun [sic] Griffin and Lulu Taylor, the eleven-year-old daughter of Joseph Taylor, were playing along the shore. Suddenly the little girl, made dizzy by the swiftness of the current, fell into the water and was carried down the stream, bobbing up and down for nearly an eighth of a mile. The lad followed on the shore, crying loudly for assistance. At a shallow place in the water he waded into the swift current, and although its force almost threw him from his feet, he reached the middle just as the girl was floating by. He grasped her, fought desperately against the current, and brought her to shore. There both were met by James Taylor, the girl's grandfather, who had hastened to the place in response to the boy's cries.

Lulu was unconscious, but a physician finally revived her. Her rescuer suffered no ill effects from his wetting, and is the hero of the community.


Port Jervis Evening Gazette, Tue 25 Sep 1917:

Mrs. Albert Griffin, of Huguenot, has received the following letter from her son:

Somewhere in France, Aug. 31, 1917

My dear Mother and all:

A few lines to let you know that I am well and happy over here in France. The weather is cool and quite rainy at times. My address is Private Osmer Griffin, Medical Department U. S. Army Base Hospital, Unit 7, American Expeditionary Force, Paris, France. How is everything at home with all of you. I hope alright.

The country over here is very strange at first. It is nothing like the states. Well, mother, I guess this is all for this time and hoping to receive a letter from you and Mildred soon, I am, Your loving soldiers boy, OSMER.


Port Jervis Evening Gazette, Mon 30 Sep 1918
Osmer Griffin, who is in France, writes a letter to his mother, Mrs. A.W. Griffin, of Huguenot, from which the following is taken:

My Dear Mother:
Your most welcome letter received and sure was happy to hear from you. I also received the papers and spend about a half hour every night before bed time in reading them until I have finished all. My bunkie partner Jack, also, is as anxious as I when those papers arrive and I am likewise when he gets in his stock of papers too. We both get into bed, or bunk is a far better name for it, and we have a candle fixed up on a home made stand and I can say that when the wind doesn't blow, why our lighting system has gas beat a mile. Our bunks are pretty fair beds too. After you get a little bit used to them. They are a double decker, two sleep on top and two on the lower. Jack and I have a lower berth, as it is much handier to get into when you are tired and again when it rains why the two that sleep on the upper have to fix up their dog tents to keep off the rain which is bound to come through. No matter how much you try to fix it up. I am sending you a couple of pictures and hope you can make them out.

It is just one year ago today that we left and last saw the good old Statue of Liberty. It sure would look good to all of us again, believe me.

Everything is more than busy over here and the Yankees are sure going after the Boche strong. Our boys are right there too, when it comes to going after them and I guess the Fritzie's more than think so, too. They will get more than peace when our boys are finished with them. They will get knocked in pieces. They will need a few more railroads and some wings instead of a pair of feet to keep out of the Yankees' track, when they start digging after them and our boys can sure dig into them, too.

The weather here is very warm, but has been rainy quite often during this month. It was the same here last year. At times it doesn't seem as though a year has passed and then again it seems much longer. It certainly will be good to get back again in God's country, the good Old U.S.A.


Port Jervis Evening Gazette, Thu 7 Nov 1918:

Osmer Griffin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert W. Griffin of Huguenot, has written an interesting letter to his mother, from which the following is taken:

Am just back from a seven days vacation. At Aix Les Rauines and Chaubery LaVoie, up in the Alps, and I sure did have a wonderful trip. We had some wonderful trips through the mountains, cascades and gorges, and believe me, the scenery was great.

One of the first trips we took was upon the top of Mount Revard. We rode up in a car pushed by our engine, and one car was about all the old engine could handle up that steep mountain. The engine and car run on cogs between the rails, and that is about the only way they could make some of the hill. When we left Aix, the sun was out bright and the weather was just like summer, but when we reached the top of the mountain, we had to walk around in a couple of inches of snow and the weather was like January.

We did not mind the cold as the scenery up there interested us too much. We could look over into the Italian Alps and the Swiss Alps, and about 75 kilometres away, we could see Mount Blanc, the biggest peak of the Alps and as white as snow could make it.

We took a look over the cliffs which are a mile or so high, nearly straight up in the air, and it made us feel dizzy for the first look. One felt as though he were in an airship as the ordinary clouds hung half way down the mountain and it seemed strange at first to be up so high. We could look over Lake Bonigst, which is eleven miles long and could see three times that all over the country.

After we had finished through the mountains, we went through many of the chateaux, where the dukes once lived, and they were very interesting. We studied the rooms and the pictures, and I guess some great times were held there in their days. They certainly did have some wonderful paintings on the walls, and the dukes all had their own life sized paintings. We went through some of the churches, and I doubt if the art in them could be duplicated at the present time. Our time was too short to take in all the sights.

Arriving back to Paris in a car that was so crowded that we had to stand all the way from Lyons, we decided to take in the sights. We walked on the grand boulevard and went to Napoleon's tomb, which is a wonderful place. The windows have a bluish glass, and where the altar is, the windows have a glass which send out a golden hue. The glass cannot be duplicated now as the man who made it died, and the glass could never be made since. Down stairs, there is a circle where you can see wonderful work in sculpture. We also went in the Army Museum where they have trophies of war, captured form the Germans. There is everything since the French have lived, all sorts of armour, spears, swords and different styles and uniforms worn by the great men of France.


Middletown Times Press, 12 Feb 1919:
News of the Week from Huguenot

Mrs. Griffin received a package containing her son's clothing and other articles including a watch chain, uniform, notions and underwear. She was shocked at first, then a cute little pair of wooden and leather slippers tied with ribbon bows dropped out - and then she knew he was coming home.

(I am glad to report that Osmer made it home safely from World War I. He married Mildred Platt in 1923 and they had two children, Phyllis and Melvin. Osmer died September 24, 1956 in Port Jervis, NY of a heart attack. -- HB)

Burdick News... Up-To-The-Minute!

Eleanor Shepherd (eleanoral25@yahoo.com) is the granddaughter of Dr. Justin Herbert Burdick (I3099) who was featured in the Summer 2015 Burdick Newsletter. Eleanor was only two years old when her grandfather died so does not remember much about him, but she does remember her grandmother very well and loved her very much. She also remembers playing in the "Power House" in the backyard with other kids.

On a related note, Lyn B. Kalinowski (lynkal@sbcglobal.net), who provided much of the information on Justin Herbert Burdick, corrected me on something. "Tolo" was a liquid antiseptic, not a sunscreen as I indicated. It was similar to Listerine and about the same color as the original Listerine. Lyn's father, who was Justin Herbert's youngest son, actually used it to clean her various scrapes and cuts when she was a child. Tolo was still being made until the 1940’s. Lyn points out that it is interesting to note that "Grandpa" did his internship under Dr. Lister, who invented Listerine, but developed his ‘own’ product because he felt Listerine had too much alcohol in it (Dr. Burdick was a good ’tea totaller’ and good Seventh Day Baptist!)

Homer Burdick (hburdick14626@yahoo.com) has a great idea, and I'm hoping someone can bring it to fruition. He is a World War II veteran and his name, along with that of his brother, Robert, and cousin, Otis, appear in the display system of the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC. Homer believes there are about 12-14 Burdicks listed there. So the request... if you visit the Memorial, or know someone who will be there, can you please gather a listing of all Burdicks whose names appear. I'll make a place for these very special members of the Greatest Generation on my web site and in the Newsletter. Thanks.

Homer also has some exciting news about the Burdick family. We all know about Robert Burdick immigrating to Rhode Island in 1651, but did you know there were other Burdicks who arrived after that? Homer is the descendant of one of those immigrants, specifically his gg-grandfather Nathaniel Burdick. The story passed down in Homer's family is that Nathaniel's first wife died during childbirth on the ship enroute to America and that he took an Indian maiden as his second wife. He is supposedly listed as Scottish-Irish. Homer estimates Nathaniel arrived around 1820-1825, as his first child was born in 1827. If anyone knows more about or can substantiate this important finding please contact us. If anyone knows where ships' registries and manifests from this era can be found that would also be helpful.

Greg Burdick (Gregory_T_Burdick@mcpsmd.org) also has a great idea. He is a descendant of Fernando (Frank) Cortez Burdick (I1171), the Civil War Union Captain who moved to Winston County, Alabama to help organize the 1st Alabama Cavalry. After the war, Frank married a local lady and lived the rest of his life there. Greg indicated that the County Court House in Double Springs was constructed by Frank's children and grandchildren. There is a cornerstone with their names on it. Unfortunately when I visited Winston County a few years ago I did not know about the cornerstone, although I did take pictures of the Court House which are in the "Photos" section of the Burdick website. Greg thought it would be good if someone in the area could send me a picture of the cornerstone for inclusion with the other photos.

Greg also provided the military records of Frank's younger brother, Ira Whiting Burdick, who was a Private during the Civil War and was present when General Robert E. Lee surrendered. You can see these documents in the "Photos" section of the Burdick website.

Margaret Jones (redheart@sky.com) came across an interesting web site and thought some of our family researchers may want to take a look at it. The England’s Immigrants Database (https://www.englandsimmigrants.com) is a new web site documenting over 64,000 names of people known to have migrated to England from 1330-1550, during the period of the Hundred Years’ War, the Black Death and the Wars of the Roses and the Reformation. While there is no recorded "Burdick", there are variations of the name that could be of interest. Margaret thought information in these records, from both published and unpublished sources, could help in our search for our Burdick ancestors.

A Burdick researcher is trying to verify the parents of Jay P. Burdick. It seems pretty definitive that Jay's grandparents are Benjamin Irish Burdick (I728) and Anna Carder, but it cannot be proven. Nellie Johnson shows that Benjamin and Anna had 5 children: Sidney, Elery B., Maria, Frank and Benjamin Jr., but goes no farther than that. Nellie also reports that Benjamin's will mentions, among others, "Jay Burdick, son of B. Elery." It is reasonable the "Benjamin E." and "B. Elery" are the same person (Nellie believe so). A short obituary for Jay was found in the Lincoln Star (Lincoln, NE) giving the date of his death as September 28, 1952 at age 71. It was also discovered that Jay's first wife was Gertrude Bessie Walker and they were married in Taylor, NY. Jay and his second wife, Bertha Sedam, were married in Lincoln, NE. Unfortunately Nebraska state law is such that only family members can view records such as marriages. If anyone knows this family and can verify Jay's parents and grandparents, please contact me (howard@burdickfamily.org). Thanks.

Cindy Kinder (clk4472@yahoo.com) is trying to find out more about her g-grandfather, Frederick H. Burdick (I311117). He married Rosetta Spencer in Baraboo, WI in 1892. Their children were Harold Thomas (Cindy's grandfather), Charles Erwin, Frederick Lester, Willis Spencer, Cecil Rosetta, and Helen Celina. Cindy traveled to Baraboo and Rice Lake, where her grandparents lived, and found other Burdicks, but no one knew if they were related. Can you help?

Gene Warner (gene_warner@manitouislandsarchives.org) is a historian for the Manitou Islands Archives, and a long-time friend of the Burdick Family Association. North and South Manitou Islands in Lake Michigan is a gorgeous location if you need a summer get-away, and the Burdick family played an important role is the area's history. But Gene has located a previously unknown Burdick line and is hoping someone may know more. Lafayette Burdick, born about 1823 in Connecticut, married Ann Foster, daughter of George and Margaret Foster of Pictou County, Nova Scotia, around 1849. Lafayette served as a Private in the 1st Company of the 11th Rhode Island Infantry during the Civil War. Lafayette and Ann had the following children: Adelaide, Sarah, Margaretta, Alfred, Charles H., Lafayette, Nancy, Harriet Perry, Lillie Augusta, and Laura. The family lived in the Providence, RI area. Gene thinks this Burdick-Foster connection may be the reason members of the Foster family came to Manitou Island.

It was 2007 when I was first contacted by Bill Burditt (billburditt@gmail.com) with an offer to have the Burdick family participate in the Burdette Family DNA study. As I have written in Newsletters since then, while the results are not definitive they certainly indicate the Burdicks are NOT an offshoot of the Burdettes. Bill now has another offer, and I am hoping someone will take him up on it... Bill, like all of us, is getting up in years and would like to hand over the administrative duties of the Burdette Family Tree DNA web site to a younger family member. If you have an interest is doing so, or know of someone who might, please contact us. The genetic information that has been collected over the past decade is too important to loose.

Barbara LaMont (barbaraannlamont@yahoo.com) is searching for Alminia Burdick. She was born December 4, 1819 in Granby, Oswego Co, New York and died in 1889 in Big Flats, Wisconsin. She married Marvin Matthews. Barbara has not been able to find her parents or her siblings and would greatly appreciate any information you have on this line.

Donna Owens (donnao1@suddenlink.net) is the gg-granddaughter of Philetus Babcock (1828-1884), who is the son of Paul and Barbara (Burdick) (I426) Babcock. Donna would like to know where Philetus died and where he is buried. If you can help please contact her.

Mary Kunzler-Larmann (mk-l@juno.com) is researching the history of Beaver River Station, NY (in the Adirondacks). Clifford "Kip" Burlingame (I1012823), the g-grandson of Lovina (Burdick) Main (I2053) was a frequent visitor to the area and kept a scrapbook of Beaver River history: photos, clippings, etc. Mr. Burlingame worked in the Norwich (NY) Pharmacy in the 1930s and likely knew Nellie Johnson. Mary is am hoping to locate this scrapbook (or scrapbooks.) If you know anything about Clifford or his work please contact her.

Jacci Arbs (mustangjacci@aol.com) passes along that her cousin, Christine Williams, passed away on June 6, 2015. She was born May 9, 1960.

There are way too many notices of deaths in this Newsletter, so I am very happy to relay that Jacci also has a new grandson! Rockford Kingston Ajay Chapman was born on July 25 at 9:33 PM and weighed 7 lbs 0.2 oz, 19 3/4 in. 'Rocky' is the first child of Shaun and Crystal Chapman. Please join me in welcoming our newest family member!

Steve Burdick (horracetrout@verizon.net), friend and contributor to the Burdick Newsletter, wanted to let everyone know that his sister, Joanna Elizabeth Burdick, died on July 29, 2015. Born on January 1, 1943, in Westerly, R.I., she was the daughter of the late Arthur E. Burdick and Rhoda (Bromley) Burdick. Besides Steve, she is survived by a sister, Barbara Rathbun, and another brother, Edward A. Burdick, as well as several beloved nieces and nephews and many wonderful friends. Joanna was employed by the New England Telephone company for 34 years in a management position.

Jane Maxson (jhm2727@cox.net), our friend in Westerly, RI, sends word on the passing of Bertram W. Burdick, of Ross Hill Road, Charlestown, RI. He died at Apple Rehab Clipper on Friday, July 17, 2015, at the age of 85. Born in Hopkinton, he was the son of the late Melville and Mildred Burdick. Bertram worked in security for Electric Boat in Groton for many years until his retirement. He proudly served as a US Army Veteran of the Korean War and was a member of the Richmond Grange. In addition to his longtime companion, Barbara Jordan, he is survived by five children, Brent Burdick and his wife, Karen, of Charlestown and Blase Burdick and his wife, Trudy, of Bloomfield, Conn., Bonnie Jordan-Waters and her husband, Jim, of Conway, N.H., Joanne Jordan and Jon Yates and Roland Jordan, Jr., all of Richmond. Bertram also leaves five grandchildren, Kimberly Sanderlin, Amy (Roger) Dwyer, Blase Burdick, Jr., Beck Dobrick (Drew) and Shawn Burdick (Carrie); as well as seven great-grandchildren.

Nikki Anderson (nikki@oranderson.com) sends word that her father, Clinton Flavious Burdick (I413788), passed away in April from complications of a broken hip.

Howard Rodgers (HIRODGERS@aol.com) reports that Robert Clifford Burdick, 89, of Port Charlotte, FL. formerly of Lakewood, NJ passed away on Friday, June 19, 2015. Bob was born in South Clinton, Pa, served in the Navy in WW II, and retired from the Daily Home News in 1989. He was Worshipful Master of Lakewood Masonic Lodge, and Past Patron of Carasaljo Chapter, OES in Lakewood. Bob is survived by his wife of 68 years, MaryAn of Pt. Charlotte, FL; daughter, Bonnie (Rocky) Tiefel; son, Bob (Karen) Burdick; 7 grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; his brothers, Dick and Ray; his sister, Marjorie Beckwith, and numerous nieces and nephews. Internment was at Sarasota National Cemetery.

Robert Wolff's (r-wolff@sbcglobal.net) cousin, Alfred Leroy Burdick, also passed away on August 3, 2015. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Dorothy Jane Burdick, of Dallas, TX, and his 3 children, Brenda Suzanne, Billy, and Candy. Leroy was retired from Sears Roebuck & Co., where he had worked for over 45 years. He was the Line Haul Trucking Manager for 20 of those years. He was a member of the Elam Road Baptist Church for over 30 years where he had served as a deacon.

Miranda Maxwell (miranda.k.maxwell@gmail.com) reports that her grandfather, Wendell Dale Burdick (I10930009), on July 21 in Battle Creek, MI. He was about a month shy of 75. There was no obituary.

Denise Winter (Tapsla6@yahoo.com) sends word that Harvey Nelson Short (I613939), the last of the children Floyd And Ella (Burdick) Short, passed away in his sleep on September 8, 2015 in Fallbrook, California. His memorial is on findagrave.com.

Jim Sternitzky (jwsterni@hotmail.com) reports that his mother, Carol Marie Sternitzky, died at Green Bay, Wisconsin on 31 May 2015. His aunt, Margie Marie Sternitzky, died at Marshfield, Wisconsin on 15 August 2015.

Sharon Paugh (slpaugh@aol.com) provided the obituary of Carolynne Burdick Cordner, 80, who passed away at home in Stuart, FL on Sunday, August 23, 2015, following a courageous two-year battle with pancreatic cancer. She was born in Avondale Village (Westerly) RI, July 5 1935, the daughter of Edna G. and Howard F. Burdick (I3751). Carolynne graduated from Westerly public schools, and the Katherine Gibbs School in Providence, RI. Carolynne was employed as an executive secretary in her earlier years, and was also a dedicated volunteer for many civic and church organizations. She was predeceased by her husband, Brigadier General Thomas J. Cordner.

Moe Cormier (moe@thegreenbookcase.net) is a longtime friend of "Buzzy" Barrows. Clayton I. "Buzz” Barrows, 95, a life-long resident of Berkshire, joyfully passed into his loving Saviors arms early Friday morning, Sept. 18, 2015. Born in Berkshire on Oct. 9, 1919 he was the son of Clarence and Helen (Howland) Barrows. He was predeceased by his wife of 52 years, Adatha (Walters, Fetherbay) Barrows (1997) and his wife, Genevieve Foux Barrows (2010); his siblings: Frances Walker, Joyce Lawrence, Marguerite Clark, Iram and Erwin Barrows. Buzz is survived by his children David (Patricia) Barrows, Derwood (Nancy) Fetherbay, Frances Deyo and Sharon Stewart; 17 grandchildren and 54 great grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

I (howard@burdickfamily.org) saw this news article and would like to hear from anyone who knows more... Two longtime friends, one of whom was a Michigan police officer, were found dead on the floor of a garage in a neighborhood in the Detroit-area suburb of Dearborn Heights on Friday morning, May 15, 2015. Dearborn Heights police officer John Burdick, 46, and James McEwen, 45, were discovered by McEwen's girlfriend at the home he shared with her and her children from a previous marriage. Burdick, an 18-year veteran of the department who lived about a block away from the home where the bodies were found, is survived by his wife and two children.

Copyright Howard E. Burdick 2019. All Rights Reserved.