Burdick Newsletters

Spring, 2016

Cyrus Burdick, the Pioneer of Pomona

Submitted by Phil and Patty Burdick (gypsytraveler@cox.net)

(Last year Kevin Pancoast was looking for information about his g-grandfather, Cyrus Burdick (I410810). Phil and Patty knew the story and kindly provided it to all of us. Following are excerpts from the book "History of Pomona Valley California with Biographical Sketches" that was published in 1920. I had no idea that a Burdick ancestor played a central role in the settlement of this Los Angeles suburb in the mid-1800s. The entire book is available on-line and is quite interesting. -- HB)


In Revolutionary days the forbears of both Cyrus Burdick and his wife lived in Vermont and New York. Gideon Burdick, his grandfather, was born in Rhode Island in 1762, and was a drummer-boy in the army. From an authentic account of that time we find that "when very young he volunteered in the Revolutionary War, and served under General George Washington in Defense of his Country: for which several years previous to his death he received eight dollars a month, as a pension from the Government of the United States."

Judge Thomas Burdick, father of Cyrus, was a surveyor and teacher when a young man in Jamestown, Utica, and other places in New York. He wrote a text book on arithmetic which was published in Albany and used in the schools of the state. In Iowa, to which state he moved later, he was mentioned as "a prominent and well-known citizen at Council Bluffs," and he held various positions of trust in Pottawattamie County, among them that of county clerk and of county judge.

The spirit of the pioneer must have been in their blood, as the family moved from point to point westward across the continent. Not for the sake of adventure but in search of a permanent home and a larger, freer life in the ever enlarging West, they followed the retreating frontier from New York to Ohio, from Ohio to Illinois and Iowa, and thence, trekking over plains and mountains, to the very Pacific Coast.

The last long trek was that in 1853 from Council Bluffs, Iowa, in prairie schooners across the plains to Colorado, Utah and California. The party made up a large caravan. Wagons loaded with household goods and provisions were drawn by oxen and by horses. Sickness had delayed them at Salt Lake and compelled them to change their plans and to come by the southern route to Los Angeles instead of going to Sacramento Valley as they had intended. Once at least they had escaped an ambush by hostile Indians, once they had all but drunk of poisoned water, and once a fate like that of the Donner Lake party at the hands of Mormon-supported Indians, was narrowly averted. Survivors of this journey tell of supernatural guidance, of spiritual warnings on account of which by taking a different course, or making a long detour, each of these disasters was avoided. Wonderful it certainly was, if not even miraculous or providential. As the party came down from the pass into the midst of the green fields and gardens of the little settlement at San Bernardino, it seemed to them a very paradise. After a short time for rest at San Bernardino the Burdicks and others of the party pushed on to San Gabriel and Los Angeles.

In the family of Cyrus Burdick, then a young man of nineteen, were his father. Judge Thomas Burdick, his mother Anna (Higley) Burdick, his two brothers Horace and Thomas, and his sister Lucretia who had married James Frank Burns, one of the overland party as they were crossing the plains. Attracted by the settlement at San Gabriel and by the favorable conditions for farming, they first secured some land east of the village, and made their home there while looking into various opportunities for occupation and investment. In their search for favorable openings Cyrus Burdick went as far north as Puget Sound, and was interested for a time in mining in Arizona and in the tin mines at Temescal. In 1856 he decided to open a store in San Gabriel in company with Frank Burns. Burns was a dynamo of energy and in the opening and building up of their business was a good partner for the more quiet and conservative Burdick; but he soon grew tired of the store, and while he retained his interest in the business, he ceased to take an active part in it. He soon moved to Los Angeles where he was for many years a notable character and filled many important positions — teacher, county school superintendent, county sheriff and chief of police.

In January, 1859, [back in San Gabriel,] Cyrus Burdick married Amanda Chapman, a young daughter in a family whom the Burdicks had known in the East. Charles P. Chapman, her father, had come across the plains from Iowa. Her mother, Amanda Fuller, was from Vermont. According to a number of early settlers in El Monte and San Gabriel, she was "the prettiest girl in the Valley." But more than this, she was a fine housekeeper and nurse and a most necessary helpmate for the young storekeeper. Though of Eastern parents she soon became a favorite with the best Mexican families as well as with the few Americans in the Valley. Among those who liked to tarry at the store and visit with the Burdicks, when they came to the Alission or passed by on their way to Los Angeles, were the Palomares and Vejar families from the San Jose Rancho.

In 1860 Mr. Burdick brought from San Diego three swarms of bees, the first to be introduced in the Valley. Studying their habits and taking special care of them himself, he was able to sell at a dollar a pound all the honey he could produce. This alone would soon have earned him a small fortune, but he became so impregnated with the poison from bee-stings that he was threatened with tetanus and his doctor warned him that he must give up his bees at once.

It was during their life at San Gabriel that the Civil War broke out. Many of the Burdicks' closest friends were Southerners and one of the most intimate was F. M. Slaughter, who was intensely "rebel" in his sympathies. But in his quiet way Cyrus Burdick was always deeply loyal and patriotic. He early enlisted for service in the Union army and received his arms and equipment from the government, but as mobilization of Western volunteers was repeatedly postponed, for him as for many other Californians the call never came.

It has been stated that Burdick and Burns rarely lost an account. This was especially true of their Mexican customers. Honesty and candor usually command a return in kind — noblesse oblige — but not always. In an unfortunate hour Mr. Burdick was persuaded to endorse a note for a minister living then in San Gabriel. The amount of the note — about $8,000 — would not be considered large today, and the possibility of demand upon him would seem to be remote considering the position and standing of the principal signatory. But when the note matured the minister, a Mr. Brewster, had absconded leaving word that Mr. Burdick would have to pay the note. All he had was in the store. He was urged to repudiate, to go through bankruptcy, to place his property in his wife's name or his partner's. But for him all this was unthinkable. Doubtless he could have borrowed a large part of the amount from friends, but after this experience he would ask no one to endorse any note of his. There was only one way to meet the obligation and this he followed without hesitation. At a fearful sacrifice everything was sold out, even their private furniture — everything had to go. But the money was raised and the note paid off.

This experience is a striking index of the sterling integrity which was a dominant characteristic of this pioneer — all the more conspicuous in a time when life and law and order, and character even, were lightly esteemed. This same characteristic of scrupulous honesty compelled other sacrifices later. At one time after bargaining for a large tract at Twelfth and Main streets in Los Angeles, and making certain payments on it, he sacrificed it all to meet other obligations. Considering the enormous values existing in and on properties which Mr. Burdick has owned in Los Angeles and Pomona, one might well wonder how he escaped becoming a millionaire. But the explanation is clear. It was this absolute honesty and an almost ultra-conservatism which combined to prevent his gaining great wealth. Because of these traits manifested often later in the development of the town and valley he has been called sometimes "timid" and a "moss-back." They were, however, elements most needed here at that time and later in the mad days of wildcat speculation bursting in the boom, elements that made him a tower of strength both to the community and to many reliant friends. No wonder that everyone said "his word is as good as his bond" ; no wonder that "Don Cy" was trusted implicitly by everyone, especially by the Mexicans, who knew that he would not see one wronged or exploited, as so many were because of their ignorance of our language and laws.

After disposing of their business at San Gabriel in 1864, Cyrus Burdick was engaged in several occupations in Los Angeles and elsewhere, including a mining venture in Arizona. In 1866, he went to the Chino ranch where for two years he had a dairy and made fine cheese for the Los Angeles markets. Here again he had as friend and neighbor Hon. F. M. Slaughter, who had moved from San Gabriel to his ranch at Chino. This was after the death of Robert Carlisle, and while the ranch was in charge of Joe Bridger, another son-in-law of Colonel Williams.

After two years on the Chino ranch Burdick decided to have a ranch and cattle of his own, even if on a small scale. In the San Dimas Canyon, north of Mud Springs, there was living at this time a Dr. Charles Cunningham and his family who had come from San Bernardino not long before and taken up a quarter section of government land. He called Mr. Burdick's attention to part of a section between his land and that of Henry Dalton, in the addition to the San Jose Tract, near the mouth of the San Dimas Canyon, and urged him to come there. Thus it came about that he selected for his ranch the place on which is now the C. C. Warren house and grove. Here they built a dwelling house, barn and milk house. From the Chino ranch they secured a small bunch of selected cows and heifers and a few horses. For a time the venture proved successful. There was plenty of water and feed for the cattle and their stock increased in number.

And then there came the terrible drought of 1869; the feed gave out; and the stream was dry far up in the canyon. Finding a place where the feed was better, near what was Anaheim Landing, he arranged for pasturage and drove a herd of 100 fine cows over there. Then came a scourge of disease. Every day seven or eight of the animals would come up to the fence by the house and stand there with legs spread out till they dropped down dead. No remedies seemed to avail. So his herd dwindled away and all his capital till he went back to San Dimas and sold out his ranch to the Cunninghams.

When Cyrus Burdick turned away from his ranch at San Dimas he was looking not only for a new place of residence but for a new occupation. After careful investigation he decided to engage in horticulture and especially in the raising of citrus fruits. As an industry citrus growing was practically unknown and as for organized marketing, there was none. But he had faith to make a beginning; and this decision was of much importance. His grove of seedling oranges was the first in this Valley. It was in fact a pioneer enterprise. But it was not an undertaking of large proportions — small indeed as compared with modern orchards. The loss of his cattle, and other losses too, compelled him to begin all over again; looking to his father for assistance in purchasing the land for the venture. In selecting the right location not soil but water was the first consideration. In this choice he was aided by his acquaintance with the large ranchers of the valley. It was Francisco Palomares, son of Ygnacio, who urged him to come to the San Jose ranch. Here at the end of the hills was the finest of soil and abundance of water. To the other Mexican families on the Rancho San Jose de Ariba the Burdicks were equally welcome and they were able to buy a choice tract of land, with permanent water right in the stream which flowed through his land and in the springs to the north which were its source.

The first large planting was about five hundred seedling orange trees bought of a French nurseryman in Los Angeles. It was then supposed that orange trees would not do well if planted by daylight, so the holes were dug, and the trees brought out under cover, and Mrs. Burdick held a lantern while Mr. Burdick and his helpers set them out by night. This was in the spring of 1872. As these trees grew larger they became a source of considerable income, but when the market for navels was established the crop was of little value. With the opening up of the Ganesha Park tract in Pomona, this orchard of the oldest and largest orange trees in the Valley was cut down. Many trees of other varieties were planted from time to time, and when later the navel orange was introduced a number of acres of these were added. Besides the oranges, there were lemons and olives and a row of limes. There were walnuts, and almonds, and apples of many varieties, quinces, pears, peaches and plums.

At this time, that is in 1870, the generation of Mexicans with whom the story of the Valley began, was passing off the stage, and a new generation was coming on. Those whom Cyrus Burdick found as his neighbors and contemporaries on the San Jose Rancho were the sons and daughters of the original grantees.

During the latter part of 1874 and early in 1875, Cyrus Burdick, P. C. Tonner, the teacher-lawyer-poet, and Francisco Palomares obtained joint control of some 3,000 acres in what is now the city of Pomona. Most of this was south of the line dividing the Upper and Lower San Jose and was secured by contract with Louis Phillips, who had acquired it. On the 27th of January, 1875, an important transaction was effected by which Burdick, Tonner and Palomares obtained the right to all water rising and flowing through the water-bearing lands around the base of the San Jose Hills, together with the right to develop more water and to maintain necessary ditches and reservoirs. It was the design of the three men to subdivide the tract into orchard plots and place it upon the market, selling water for irrigation with the land; but none of the men had sufficient capital to finance the enterprise properly.

In the meantime there was organized in Los Angeles a company of men who had also seen the possibilities of development in the Valley, which the railroads were unfolding. It was called "The Los Angeles Immigration and Land Cooperative Association." (Men used to say they did not like to do business with them because of this interminable designation.) Its articles of incorporation, dated November 27, 1874, state that "the object for which it is formed is to circulate information throughout this and other countries regarding Southern California, and to promote immigration thereto, to buy and sell real estate on commission, and to do any other business incidental to carrying on a real-estate office." Here were men with capital looking for investment; on the San Jose Rancho were men with land and water looking for capital. In a few weeks they came together.

(Cyrus Burdick died on October 18, 1905, 3 days short of his 68th birthday. His wife, Amanda, lived until 1924. Both are buried in the Pamona cemetery and Mausoleum. -- HB)

Frederick Eaton and The California Water Wars

Submitted by Howard Burdick (howard@burdickfamily.org)

(When I read about an ancestor like Cyrus Burdick I tend to read more about them to see what else interesting occurred in their life or family. When I did this with Cyrus I had a big surprise. Anyone who is familiar with Southern California history knows about the so-called California Water War. If you have ever seen the classic 1974 movie "Chinatown" with Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway you know part of the story. The part you probably don't know is the Burdick family tie-in. Frederick Eaton, who was mayor of Los Angeles from 1898 to 1900, played a major role in the "war" for over 50 years and his wife was Helen Lucretia Burdick (I1060406), the daughter of Cyrus' brother, Horace (I210810). Following is information compiled from several Internet resources. -- HB)

Frederick Eaton was born in Los Angeles in 1856, into a prominent family who were among those that founded what has become the city of Pasadena. As an adult Eaton was a Radical Republican. He was a promoter of the Civil War Reconstruction, new railroads, Southern California water supplies and the city of Los Angeles. He was the 33rd Mayor of Los Angeles (1898–1900) and the first Mayor, and until the last three, the only LA Mayor actually born in Los Angeles.

His mother died when he was a small child and his father went back East for few years, returning with a new wife. Fred grew up on the violent streets of Los Angeles under the protection of his aunt, Louisa Hayes Griffin, wife of Dr. John Strother Griffin. At age 13 he showed a talent for mechanical drawing and taught himself engineering. In 1875, at the age of 19, he became Superintendent of the Los Angeles City Water Company. As head of the Water Company, in 1878 Eaton first hired William Mulholland as a ditch-digger for distribution canals from the Los Angeles River to the city.

He then went to work as LA City Surveyor and was elected City Engineer. While City Engineer he developed the first comprehensive sewer plan which included the expensive but needed ocean outfall and he built most of the major public parks that we have today. While in private practice he built the Burdick Block at the NE corner of Second and Spring and launched a small development near West Lake Park, now MacArthur Parl. He served as a consulting engineer on many water projects throughout the West and become friends with the leading American engineering experts on long camping trips to study the "conquering of arid America." He also served as Chief Engineer for the initial electric railway in Los Angeles, which replaced the then LA cable cars system. This became integrated into the Henry E. Huntington system, until it was replaced by buses and freeways. For a time Fred was president of the local Architects and Engineers Association which would get together at his house to discuss the latest ideas.

In 1892 he was invited to consult on a project of Stafford W. Austin, then husband of future writer Mary Austin, to take the excess waters of the Owens Valley around the salt lake to the Ridgecrest and Antelope Valleys. This project was unfeasible for financial reasons, but on a subsequent camping trip the following year while on top of Mt. Whitney with his family he realized the waters could actually be carried by gravity all the way to Los Angeles which had an all year growing season, but a limited source of water in the Los Angeles River. In the 1890s the family bought a ranch outside of Independence and continued to vacation there. Close cousins relocated to the area.

As a champion of municipal ownership of water systems, he ran for Mayor in 1898 and won. In 1899 a $2.09 million bond measure was approved by city voters for the purchase of Los Angeles City Water Company’s system, Fred's former employer. Once public ownership had been secured, he proceeded to further develop his plan and design for a future aqueduct for Los Angeles. He invested his time and money in a detailed design outlining reservoirs and routes, electric power generation, and also future growth for the system extending North to the Mono basin. He left the Mayor's office in 1900.

In 1906 Los Angeles was faced with a problem: a burgeoning population that threatened the city’s water supply. The Board of Water Commissioners created the Bureau of Los Angeles Aqueduct. They appointed William Mulholland as chief engineer, who planned and developed the Los Angeles Aqueduct. The aqueduct was completed in 1913. The Aqueduct brought plentiful water to Los Angeles, which supplied its explosive population growth. It also diverted the Owens River and its tributaries, taking water away from the Owens Valley, eventually disabling the farms and communities there.

During the time that Eaton was surveying the Owens Valley land for his personal water project, the federal government was in the process of reclaiming land in that area for a large irrigation system in response to the newly signed Newlands Reclamation Act. Many local farmers willingly gave up their land to make this project possible. However, since Eaton was also buying thousands of acres of land at the same time, “it was a common but ill-founded assumption in the valley that Eaton was representing the Reclamation Service. Eaton did nothing to correct the inference that his activity in the valley was related to the government project.” In addition to knowingly withholding information, Eaton used inside information from Joseph Lippincott, the regional engineer of the Reclamation Service, to help gain the water rights.

The underhanded process of Los Angeles gaining the water rights for Owens Valley angered many residents. By 1924, when Los Angeles had taken so much water from the valley that Owens Lake dried up, the farmers and ranchers rebelled. They turned to violence and dynamited the aqueduct's concrete canal.

Fred Eaton used his inside advance information about the aqueduct project to enrich himself and his associates at the expense of the city of Los Angeles and the Owens Valley landowners. Eaton claimed in a 1905 interview with the Los Angeles Express that he turned over all his water rights to Los Angeles without being paid for them, "except that I retained the cattle which I had been compelled to take in making the deals... and mountain pasture land of no value except for grazing purposes." A portion of the land owned by Eaton was originally planned by Mulholland and Los Angeles to be used to build a storage reservoir. The Round Valley, Eaton's "mountain pasture land," was strategically located on the Owens River in Inyo County upstream of the Owens River Gorge and Owens Valley, and an excellent site to purchase. Eventually, Eaton's demands for a million dollars to sell it ruptured his relationship with Mulholland.

William Mulholland refused to authorize the purchase, and explored other areas to build the reservoir. Eventually he settled on an area north of the present day Santa Clarita Valley, and built the St. Francis Dam. In March 1928, the dam catastrophically failed due to unknown weak bedrock formations. The flood caused much destruction and many deaths downstream along the Santa Clara River. Eaton's finances crumbled, also in 1928, and his ranch was acquired by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, where Crowley Lake was created for the aqueduct system's new storage.

Now in his sixties, Fred Eaton dedicated much of the remaining portion of his life to improving the Inyo Mono economy through the "Good Roads" program and building one of the largest poultry farms in the world outside of Big Pine. As local mining declined, he recognized the future of the area was tourism. Fred built the Whitmore Hot Springs for his daughter Helen to run as a resort to relax after fishing. Other Eaton properties were sold for dude ranches and summer resorts. This was before the late 1920's when skiing began to become the economic force particularly in Mono County.

In the end Fred Eaton reconciled with his old friend and assistant William Mulholland, who was known as "Uncle Bill" to the Eaton children, before they both passed away. As for Los Angeles, Fred said he loved the city of this birth like most men loved their country. Fred had taught Mulholland the rudiments of hydraulic engineering after work on a blackboard kept in the family home.

Eaton was never an extremely wealthy man or big developer, but was mostly a working engineer attuned the new technologies and also dedicated public servant willing to risk his own money for the public good and the chance of personal gain. Unlike Mulholland, Fred Eaton never bought land in the San Fernando Valley, but was forced to make the best of his Owens Valley holdings.

Like most Americans in 19th Century, he was a believer in progress mastering the environment. He was called the "Ideal Westerner" and the "The Genius of the City" in the press. One wonders how he would view things today. Fred never viewed it as Owens Valley vs Los Angeles but worked to create a mutually beneficial arrangement.

He was drawn to the Owens Valley partially because of the beauty of its mountains and streams where much of his family continued to live. Most are buried there.

Fred Eaton died in Los Angeles in 1934.

Crack in a Brick Wall?

by Barbara Bond (cbbond42@gmail.com)

(Readers of this Newsletter may recall that in the Spring 2014 issue I published several stories of researchers who are facing brick walls in tracing their family roots. One of those is Barbara Bond. She recently contacted me with an update. While she has not yet broken through her brick wall she has, just maybe, found a crack in the structure. Barbara's original story, and her update, are listed below. If you have Bond family members in your background, or if you know how to research Dutch families, please contact her. Barbara also has a plea for people to participate in DNA research, and I agree. -- HB)

Burdick Newsletter, Spring 2014:

I have been searching for the parentage of a James E. (Edward) Bond who had married Amarilla Burdick in 1845 in Illinois. Amarilla was born in Chittenden County, Vermont, the daughter of Lorin and Esther Bixby Burdick, both of whom were also born in Vermont. Lorin and his family later settled in Plainfield, Will County, Illinois.

Based on the census, James Bond was born most likely between 1811 and 1815 in either New York or Vermont. In 1837 he appeared in the City Directory of Cleveland, Ohio: he was in a business called "Bond and Bishop, Painters and Glaziers." His partner was Jacob Bishop, son of Abram Bishop and Anna Tremain (Truman) Bond from Granville, Washington County, New York. Anna apparently was a descendant of the Watertown, MA, Bond family for which there is no Y-DNA match with my husband.

In 1839 James Bond was in Chicago, Illinois, residing in the City Refectory on Dearborn Street. In 1845 he married Amarilla Burdick and had 2 children -- James Jr. and Timothy -- before he settled ca. 1852 in Lockport, Will County, Illinois. The names of his other children were: Mary E., Charles Alden (my husband's great-grandfather), Harriet, William (died young), Ella Susan, Lewis and Catherine. Unfortunately, many records between 1839 and about 1853 appeared not to have survived the Chicago Fire!

On 29 Feb. 1888 James Bond died of pneumonia, aged 78.

Despite much searching, no documents could be found which identified his parentage or even provided a clue.

So... if anyone has any information (no matter how little) please let me know. I may be contacted at cbbond42@gmail.com. Thank you in advance. I know this sounds like a plea, and it is! Someone, somewhere must have a clue.


Update, October 2015:

So far no solution with my husband's Bond ancestry; however, I recently got a new submission into his Y-DNA database (using Familytree DNA) at a genetic distance of 3 (multiply 130 by 3 to get the approximate time frame of the common ancestor). What is interesting is that the name was not Bond -- it is Dusenbury and the genealogy of the submitter goes back to the early 1600's when a Hendrick Hendricksen van Doesburg came to New York from Gelderland, Netherlands. This could be a non-paternity event (adoption or illegitimacy) or simply the adoption of the name Bond by a branch of the Dusenbury family. The latter is really possible since the Dutch did not have surnames as we know them until 1811. So, for example, the name given above really means Henry, the son of Henry, from Doesburg. You can see what problems this could cause in this country. For one thing, not all Dusenburys are most likely related!

Well, this is a type of clue but it doesn't much help -- it muddies the waters, so to speak, because over 60% of the autosomal DNA would be the same for this Dusenbury and Bond (this name could have many varies spellings). Consequently, it is important for me to know when the name changed. I am still spending a huge amount of time working on this and just hope I can solve it in my lifetime! What would help is for more males to have the Y-DNA test done!

Burdick News... Up-To-The-Minute!

You may recall that in the last Newsletter, Mark Burdick (markb42@mac.com) was trying to determine the birth date of Dorcas Lewis (I10014), wife of Robert Burdick (I14). He had seen records of her birth date being 1673 which did not fit the birth dates of their children. Needless to say, several of you came through with the likely solution. It looks like there were three Dorcas Lewis' who lived in the area around this time, but 'our' Dorcas was born about 1701 and died 1746. I've updated the Burdick genealogy to reflect this information. Special thanks to George Burdick, Kathy Burdick-Mills, Richard Maxson and Robert Wolff for their help.

Ali Stocker came across a very interesting web site and thought some of you would benefit from it. The Internet Archive (archive.org), a non-profit organization, was set up in 1996 to provide permanent access for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public to historical collections that exist in digital format. Ali points out that the site accepts uploads of ebooks, documents, images, etc. and could be a game changer for genealogy distribution; she has been uploading her family bible records as well as a genealogy manuscript. I don't know much about the Internet Archive, but this may be a repository for your family information - a subject in which I have a great interest.

In addition to helping Mark Burdick resolve the Dorcas Lewis problem, Kathy Burdick-Mills (adrome2201@cox.net) wanted to let everyone know about her own success story. For 35 years (yes, 35 years!) she has been searching for the resting place of her g-grandmother, Ellen (Sheldon) Burdick (I11430005), who lived from 1841 to 1870. One day while searching the Find-A-Grave website she tried every name combination she could think of, which she had done many times. But this time she tried combinations including Ellen's nickname, Nellie, and there she was! Ellen 'Nellie' Burdick rests in the Walnut Grove Cemetery in Danvers, MA. You can see photos of Nellie, her husband Albert, and the long searched-for gravestone in the "Photos" section of the Burdick Family Association web site. While our digital world makes enormous amounts of data available at our fingertips, it can often result in searching for a needle in a haystack. The lesson is to make sure you try every name combination you can think of in order to find your ancestor - and to never give up!

Kate Williams (katewill@illinois.edu) is an Associate Professor in the Graduate School of Library and Information Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. She is co-authoring a book about the town New Philadelphia in West Central Illinois. The Lorenzo Dow Burdick (I661) family was one of the early settlers in the area, along with other related families. Kate is trying to find images of the Burdicks (from the 1800s to today) who have lived there. If you are one of those Burdicks or have other photos of the area please contact her.

Jim Burdick (james.burdick@att.net) has done a great job tracing his ancestry but is hoping someone can confirm the link to his gg-grandfather, Charles Burdick. As you can image there are numerous Charles Burdicks in the genealogy (293 to be exact), so identifying the correct one is a bit of a challenge. Jim knows that his father is John Fulton Burdick (b. 1907 Erie, PA, d. 1993 Shawnee, OK), his grandfather is John Wesley Burdick (b. 1873 Candor, NY, d. 1941 Tulsa, OK) and his g-grandfather is Hiram Burdick (b. abt. 1852 in PA, d. Unknown). Jim found, in the 1860 Census, a Charles W. Burdick and Mary A. Woods with a son Hiram, age 8. This fits with following censuses and is verified in the 1875 Census of Tioga County, NY. This Charles is also listed in Nellie Johnson’s Supplement (I10114002). Hiram was married to Violette Button and had a son, Henry Robert Burdick, b. 1868, He then married Almeda Williams sometime around 1870. So Jim thinks he has the correct Charles Burdick, but if you can verify his findings it would be very much appreciated.

Bob Doughty (doughtybobmail@aol.com) is hoping someone will know more about his link to the Burdick family - Tamer Burdick (1813-1877). She is the daughter of Ephraim Burdick (I344) and Delight (who may have been his first wife). Tamer married (1) George A. Thomas and (2) Asa Handy. Her children with Mr. Thomas are Jemima, Eliza E., George Arnold (a Civil War Soldier), James D., and Phoebe Ann. Those with Mr. Handy are Maria, Stephen and Charles. there were born between 1830 and 1849. If you can help Bob discover more, please do.

Homer Burdick (hburdick14626@yahoo.com) comes from a different branch of the family than most of us. His ancestor, Nathaniel Burdick (I10111001), arrived in the U.S. in the early 1820s and may have been Scottish-Irish. Homer is looking for others with ancestry from Western Pennsylvania and researching the names Whitton, Southworth, Chambers, Beam, or Henry. If you are such a researcher, Homer would like to compare notes with you.

Cheryl (carlm63@yahoo.com) passes along word that Elizabeth "Betty" Revington Burdick finished a life well lived on Monday, Dec. 21, 2015, at age 93 in Madison, WI. Her husband, Allan Bernard Burdick (I212631), passed away in 2012. She is survived by her three children, George Revington (Marge Smith) of Greensboro, N.C., Pence Revington of Mt. Horeb, Wis. and Elizabeth Revington (George Kintzer) of Madison, Wis.; grandchildren; great-grandchildren; and her Missouri family and dear friends everywhere. Blessed with beauty, spunk and smarts, Betty made the most of her time on Earth. Ever an optimist, she believed the saying, "The world is so full of such wonderful things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings." Betty gave her all to her loves—George Revington, Fred Hovde, Allan Burdick and Russell Baumann.

Cheryl also sends word that Harriet Burdick Geisshardt (I1018939), 98, of Scranton, died Thursday, January 14, 2016 at The Jewish Home of Eastern Pennsylvania. She was the widow of Alfred G. Geisshardt, who passed away in 1991. Born in Scranton, she was the daughter of the late Russell (I313649) and Marguerite (Bohl) Burdick. Harriet graduated from Scranton Technical High School and Powell Business College. Prior to retiring in 1994, she worked at The Third National Bank for over 40 years. She was of the Methodist faith and was a former member of Elm Park United Methodist Church. She is survived by her daughter: Donna Miller and her husband Michael of Delaware Water Gap; her son in law: Nicholas Hanchak and his wife Maureen of Archbald; her three grandchildren: Nicholas Hanchak and his wife Patty, Kimberly Lasewicz and her husband Mark and Jessica Katzbeck and her husband Bill and 8 great-grandchildren: Mark & Matthew Lasewicz, Chloe and Tessa McNulty, Ryan and Rachel Sheldon and Nicholas and Stephanie Hanchak. She was preceded in death by by her daughter Barbara Hanchak, her granddaughter Jennifer Sheldon, her great-granddaughter Emma McNulty and her sisters during their childhood.

Margaret Engelhardt's (engelhardt_m@yahoo.com) husband is descended from Catherine Henrietta Janes through her first marriage to Charles Whitmore Thompson and their daughter, Mary Moselle who married Charles Granger Livingston. Margaret has some questions, if you can answer any of them please contact her... (1) Margaret doesn't think that Catherine and her second husband, Horace Burdick (I3184), had any children she but doesn't know for certain, do you? (2) Are Horace and Catherine buried in the same place, and where would that be? (3) When were Catherine Henrietta Janes and Charles Whitmore Thompson divorced and where? (4) Did Horace adopt Catherine's daughter, Mary Moselle Thompson? (5) Do you have a picture of Catherine Henrietta, Horace, and Mary Moselle?

Anthony Torra collects historic photos and acquired a tintype collection of people. Amongst them were two Civil War era photos of Norman Burdick. It appears that this is Normal L. Burdick (ID 1452). He was born November 21, 1838 in Otsego, NY; no death date is given. He had a son, George N. (September 23, 1865 – July 23, 1888) and a daughter, Bertha E. (b. August 24, 1868). Bertha married Elwood E. Hamilton on May 12, 1891. The photos are posted on the Burdick Family Association web site (in the "Photos" section). If you know more about this family please contact me (howard@burdickfamily.org) and I'll pass the information onto Anthony.

Earleen DeRycke (hderycke1@yahoo.com) is trying to find her Burdick link. She is the g-granddaughter of Eliza Jane Burdick, born 1828 in Herkimer Co., NY and died 1878 in Phoenix, NY. The 1850 census finds her, age 19, with husband Matthew Horr, age 24, in Little Falls, NY. They moved to Phoenix around 1860. Earleen found a newspaper article in 1882 that states 'Mr. Adam Horr in possession of the intelligence that his wife & her sister, widow of the late Matthew Horr, have fallen heir to $14,000 each, by the death of their father, in Michigan. They expect to receive the money some time next month.' So we know that Eliza had a sister, Matilda, who was married to her husband's brother, and that their father died in Michigan. Many records were lost in a big fire in Phoenix, so if anyone knows more please contact Earleen.

Mike Pennington (pendrak@gmail.com) has been researching his grandmother's Burdick line for a long time - over 10 years - and is hoping you can help with something. Sally Burdick (I210247) (b. abt. 1824) ('Sally' is probably short for 'Sarah') was married to Randall James Kenyon (b. abt. 1827) and in the 1860 census lived in Coe, Rock Island, Illinois with 4 children, Emily, Helen, Rhuann and Walton. But who are Sally's parents? Nellie Johnson shows them to be David Burdick (I247) and his second wife. Mike has determined that her mother's first name is Mary and her last name may be Srivares or Shivers. Mike also believes that Sarah was either the daughter of David Burdick or the daughter of Clarke, son of David, and a second wife named Mary. either way, we know that Sally is descended from Clarke Burdick (I86) who was a Revolutionary War soldier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne Burdick (vwstoy@yahoo.com) is trying to make her link into the Burdick family tree. Her grandfather was Robert Augusta (Bob) Burdick of River Falls, AL. Her grandmother was Mary Alice Smith, also of River Falls. Yvonne has been unable to find anything on them. If you can help, please contact her.

Carol Reppard (reppardc@gmail.com) is desperately searching for burial information concerning her great-uncle, Deloss (Delos, Deluss) P (Patter, Potter) Burdick (I510728), b. April 3, 1844, d. September 13, 1863. He enlisted in the Civil War on August 9, 1862 in DeRuyter, Madison, New York and was mustered in on August 14, 1862 as a Private in Company H, 114th Infantry Regiment (New York Volunteers). He was mustered out on September 13, 1863 at the Union Hospital in New Orleans, LA due to his death from dysentery. Deloss is Carol's great-Uncle who died at the age of 19 during the Civil War. She is trying to find where he was buried. All records show that he was buried in New Orleans. There is a monument to him in Hillcrest Cemetery in DeRuyter, NY, but he is not buried there. He died at what was called The Jackson Barracks in New Orleans. It appears that those buried there were moved to Chalmette National Cemetery after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 but so far Carol has not been unable to locate him there. She has been in contact with the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and they did not come up with anything other than the DeRuyter site and suggesting she come to Washington, DC to search more. If you have any clues as to where Deloss might be buried Carol would be forever grateful to you. Please contact with any ideas or information.

Connye LaCombe (connye@comcast.net) has finally found some information, in the form of a family tree, linking Lester Jason Burdick back to Robert. As she suspected, Lester Jason was the son of Waite Burdick (I91). Documentation to prove that may never be found because of the lack of paperwork in northern New York at that time. Connye is not sure where else to look at this point so if you have any ideas, or if you are also researching this line, please let her know.

On a sad note, Steve Burdick (horracetrout@verizon.net) let us know that his sister, Barbara (Burdick) Rathbun (I11880026), 81, passed away on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2016. She was the daughter of the late Arthur Burdick and Rhoda (Bromley) Burdick. Barbara was the wife of William Rathbun for 59 years. Besides her husband, she is survived by her children; Diana Rathbun and her husband, Robin Eldredge and Bruce Rathbun, as well as her brothers; Edward and Stephen Burdick. She was predeceased by her sister, Joanna Burdick. Barbara graduated from Westerly High School in 1952. In her earlier years she loved to roller skate and she was also a member of the marching band drum core with Moore's Fife and Drum. She will be remembered as a consumer advocate, an avid shopper and for her love of traveling. Barbara was particularly enthusiastic about camping.

Connie Engel (conniemae@cox.net) wanted to pass along that her cousin, Mark LaChapell (I11600110), died on January 25. 2016. He was the son of Frank and Camilla LaChapell. Mark and Connie “met” over family tree interests back in 2011 or 2012 through e-mails and eventually phone calls. Three years later Mark and his son, Scott, visited Northern Wisconsin in order to meet cousins and see the area where his father grew up and spoke of so often. They all met in Iron Mountain MI and spent about 4 days together. According to Connie, it was WONDERFUL. Mark and Scott met Connie's Mother, Joyce LaChapell Miller Cardinal, age 90, who is the last living offspring of Andrew and Frances (Burdick) LaChapell. Mark was not feeling well during the trip and blamed it on travel and maybe a touch of food poisoning. But once he returned home he was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and although he fought it every way possible, he did not win that battle. Needless to say, Connie is very sad and yet so very happy and will forever be thankful that they did not postpone that trip. His memorial service was February 1st. RIP, Mark.

Marylou Mandell (westerly@hotmail.com) and Steve Burdick (horracetrout@verizon.net) send word that Raymond E. Burdick died peacefully at his home in Hope Valley on Sunday, Feb. 21, 2016. He was 89. Born in Hopkinton in 1926, he was the son of Ralph and Eleanor (Clarke) Burdick. Raymond was a lifelong resident of Hopkinton, attending school there and graduating as part of the Westerly High School class of '44. Raymond was a veteran of World War II serving in the U.S. Navy as a Torpedoman's Mate Third Class. Raymond was predeceased by his wife, Katherine E. (Bohning), his brothers, Fremont and William Burdick, and a sister, Mary Place. He is survived by his niece, Alice (DeTata) Heller, who was raised by he and his wife during her teenage years. He is also survived by cousins and numerous nieces and nephews who loved him.

Debbie Drozen (ddrozen@aol.com) sends word that her brother, Greig Tyler Burdick, 70 years old, of Little River, SC, passed away Friday, March 18th, after a short illness. He was the beloved husband and friend of Linda for 45 years, the wonderful father of Bryon (deceased) and Matthew. Greig was the grandpa of Lilly and Bryon and the loving father-in-law of Keisha. Greig was born in Lynchburg, VA, the son of the late Tyler and Loretta Burdick, and the brother of Debbie. He graduated from Dartmouth College in 1967 and Tuck School of Business in 1969 and was an entrepreneur. He lived in Winston-Salem, NC for 31 years where he was heavily involved in youth soccer. After retiring to Little River, Greig enjoyed spending his time with Linda as they travelled, watched the birds and boats parading back and forth on the Intracoastal Waterway and loved their many visits with Matthew, Keisha, Lilly and Bryon. His quirky sense of humor will be remembered fondly by everyone he touched.

Here are the obituaries Carol Reppard (reppardc@gmail.com) has provided for this Newsletter:

Letha R. (Kittle) Burdick of Binghamton, NY and who resided in Florida for 45 years, went to be with the Lord at the age of 90 on November 29, 2015. She was predeceased by her husband, George (Flip) Burdick, parents Wako & Ida Kittle and nine siblings. She is survived by many nieces, nephews and cousins. Letha worked as a CNP, private duty, for 30 years in Florida. She will be remembered for all the care she gave her family and her good cooking. The family would like to thank Gary McLaughlin for his care & concern for Letha over the past few years. At Letha's request, there will be no calling hours or service. Committal will be in Riverhurst Cemetery at a later date.

Published in Rochester Democrat And Chronicle on Dec. 8, 2015: Jane C. Burdick died on Friday, December 4, 2015 at home surrounded by family. She was born in New Jersey on May 1, 1959, the daughter of Jan and Mary Cychowski, who preceded her in death. A graduate of Cornell University, she worked as a dietitian at Fauquier Hospital for 18 years, ultimately becoming Department Head of Housekeeping, Dietary and Laundry. She was instrumental in planning the design of The Bistro. As the mother of twin boys, she enjoyed homeschooling and living in Rappahannock County. In her last years, she enjoyed bringing souls to God. She is survived by her husband of 33 years, Todd L. Burdick; sons, Austin L. Burdick and Tyler J. Burdick, all of Flint Hill. Her extended family includes her mother-in-law, Shirley Burdick; sisters-in-law, Lynn Burdick and Amy Lakin; nephew, Johnston Burdick; niece, Leigh Burdick; uncle and aunt, Anthony and Sharon Sulikowski.

As readers of this Newsletter know, Carol provides obituaries from the New York area for every issue. We have been discussing it, and Carol has found a very good web site that contains nationwide obituaries: http://www.legacy.com/ns/obitfinder/obituary-search.aspx. This Legacy web site is free, but there are no guarantees it will remain so in the future. So moving forward, I will duplicate this notice instead of reproducing Carol's obituaries. Please remember, though, that if you would like me to include an obituary for a recently passed loved one you can still send it to me and I will include it in the next Newsletter.

Copyright Howard E. Burdick 2019. All Rights Reserved.